Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet does not check the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you're worried about the health of your horse, please speak to a vet or qualified professional.

Slippersandacuppa

Slippersandacuppa · 25/02/2021 14:00

Hello - I’m after a bit of advice please. We have four horses who are currently stables at a yard. We have looked into buying our own land and something ideal has come up about 5 minutes from our house. It’s tucked at the bottom of a track with no roads nearby and gated access (due to it being linked to a barn of a bigger house). The only thing I’m concerned about is that we wouldn’t be living onsite. The horses will be out on a track 24/7 and I would obviously be there all the time but several people I’ve spoken to have said they would never keep horses where no one lives onsite. Two of my friends happily do. As usual, opinions at both ends of the scale! Do any of you keep your ponies away from home? Thank you!

OP's posts:
Please
or

RatherBeRiding · 26/02/2021 13:12

Yes I do. This is their 3rd winter on privately rented grazing with no-one living on-site. Never had any problems. However there is a house next door and a small-holding about 50 yards down the road so not exactly isolated.

Please
or

Leaninghouse · 26/02/2021 13:24

Yes been there for 4 years no issues, touch wood

Please
or

laPufalina · 27/02/2021 21:17

Yes we do, in a field in the suburbs. Someone is there twice a day at least but not overnight, and I don't worry too much. On the hunt for a house with land though Grin

Please
or

Slippersandacuppa · 01/03/2021 13:28

Thank you all! I think we’re going for it and hopefully my sister will be able to live there. If not, it’s very secure so I think it’s worth it so they can be out 24/7. Thank you for your replies!

OP's posts:
Please
or

CountryCob · 01/03/2021 22:24

Hello I have just bought a couple of fields like this for the same thing, about to try it but there are horses a couple of fields below in the same situation and they have been fine so going for it.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.