Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet does not check the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you're worried about the health of your horse, please speak to a vet or qualified professional.

Safety Stirrups

lastqueenofscotland · 08/02/2021 18:40

My usually quiet ex racehorse is being reminded by this weather that she is indeed full thoroughbred... and we’ve had a few hairy moments of late! While we’ve not parted company (yet...) I’m not keen on the idea of being dragged.
I’ve not owned a pair of safety stirrups since I had peacock stirrups in my pony club days, around the time of the Norman Conquests, I presume technology has moved on.
What can people recommend?

OP's posts:
Please
or

Sticki · 08/02/2021 19:26

I recently bought some Acavello Arena stirrups and have been very pleased with them, despite being what I think is a ridiculous price for a pair of stirrups. Many of the other brands are much mire expensive. I also have peacocks for my kids.

Safety Stirrups
Please
or

SnowmanDrinkingSnowballs · 08/02/2021 19:55

I’m a bit puzzled by the acavello sizing, they only seem to have one size, 12cm, is that the size of the stirrup tread?

Please
or

Sticki · 09/02/2021 12:26

The size is the width of the tread where your boot goes.

Please
or

Forest90 · 09/02/2021 18:57

I love my flex on - safe ons. They were really expensive, but I find them really supportive and wouldn’t go back to riding in anything else.

Please
or

HappyGirlNow · 09/02/2021 22:57

Ophena magnetic stirrups - they’re amazing and super safe!

I’ve also had flex-ons and Freejump safety stirrups which I liked..

Please
or

Leaninghouse · 12/02/2021 20:15

I have a pair of safe rider which I love and have saved me a couple of times

Please
or

Polkadotties · 12/02/2021 21:00

I’m going to get a pair of techs. I have heard good things about the new le Mieux ones.

Please
or

pinkpolo · 14/02/2021 14:13

I use Acavallo arena stirrups and I find them really comfy to ride in.

Just a word of warning about Flex on stirrups. I recently had the safe on version with the ultra grip - as recommended by the retailer I bought them from. I had a fall from my young horse and my foot got completely stuck. I'm talking lying on the ground, foot completely wedged in the stirrup.

Luckily my horse is a saint and just stood there until I was rescued (again very lucky someone came as I often ride alone!). I feel sick thinking about it as if I'd been out hacking, it would have been a completely different story.

The Flex on arm didn't break off as it should, and the grip kept my boot completely stuck. I got rid after this and will never ever use anything like that again! Nothing safe about these stirrups and it's put me off buying anything that has 'grip'. So dangerous.

Please
or

midnightstar66 · 14/02/2021 14:18

I agree with avoiding grip. We ended up using a pair yesterday and when trying to slide DD's foot to the right position it wouldn't budge, I thought at the tone that cannot be safe. Free jump are popular but I've heard reports of them snapping and questions about their safety. I do love the Acavallo ones.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.