Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet does not check the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you're worried about the health of your horse, please speak to a vet or qualified professional.

Share loan - where to look?

MyBeloved · 07/06/2020 09:51

Hi everyone

So, looking to share loan 2 days per week but due to most saddleries being closed or only partially open, I cannot access their advertising boards. This is how I have found share loans in the past. I've tried preloved, but there isnt a lot going on in my area (even though we are rural).

Anyone know where else I could look? Are there any forums etc I may not be aware of?

Many thanks :)

OP's posts:
Please
or

Butterywarning · 07/06/2020 14:08

Facebook would be your best bet. Take a look at local horsey groups or post a wanted ad.

Please
or

DuesToTheDirt · 07/06/2020 14:10

Yeah, facebook, in horse-specific local groups,.

Please
or

lastqueenofscotland · 07/06/2020 16:34

Local Facebook groups but be prepared to really be reading between the lines on the adverts

Please
or

MyBeloved · 07/06/2020 19:37

Thanks everyone, will give facebook a go.

@lastqueenofscotland , is there a lot of embellishment in your opinion?

OP's posts:
Please
or

Feawen · 18/06/2020 10:13

I have found a few through Preloved in the past, but think Facebook has really taken over now as the place to look. I had a lot of interest posting a wanted ad on a local horsey group, but as above, read the replies carefully as there are bad as well as good options!

If you’ve shared before then you probably know what to look out for - check that tack is safe, make sure the owner rides before you get on, ask carefully about the horse’s likes and dislikes.

I was quite shocked by how many owners had a horse they wouldn’t/couldn’t ride themselves, but were happy to let an unknown amateur try bringing them back into work, rather than investigating the horse’s obvious issues and then paying a pro for training. And wanted me to pay them for the privilege! I’m happy to ride a green or somewhat sharp horse, but not an unsound or insane one. So do tread carefully.

Please
or

LaPufalina · 20/06/2020 21:58

We found our most recent part-sharer through preloved, so still potential there!

Please
or

midnightstar66 · 22/06/2020 12:45

We found DC's on gumtree. Is working out great so far.

Please
or

MyBeloved · 02/07/2020 13:53

Really appreciate all your replies, so helpful. Have been viewing but am yet to find 'the one'. Am in no rush, the fit has to be good for all.

Great advice, everyone, thank you 😊

OP's posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.