My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Discuss horse riding and ownership on our Horse forum.

The tack room

Returning pony with tack, our extras given or not?

17 replies

FirstNameSurname · 15/05/2018 17:38

We had a loan pony that was initially with view to buy but 6 months in it was clear they didn't actually want to sell. Due to this and me being clueless as it was our first, we never had a loan agreement signed. Owner came 2-3 times a month to see pony sometimes with us there sometimes without notice. Then unexpectedly asked for return after a year. Turns out she now has a loaner closer to her yard and wants more visits. New loaner views, all fine. Pony has now gone to new yard.

New loaner is unhappy with the tack. She's been shown our tack, turnout rugs, fly mask etc by owner when I wasn't there. I kept hold of our stuff as we want a new pony same as this one and it didn't cross my mind that this stuff would now belong to pony not us. All stuff sent was safe etc just not as nice and new as ours. The basics are the same I.e. saddle but different stirrups and no gel pad etc

Still very new to all of this so, is the tack accumulated during a loan normally given with pony or not?

OP posts:
TheDinosaurRoars · 15/05/2018 17:47

The owner is trying it on. The tack etc belongs to you especially since you say no contract was drawn up.

britnay · 15/05/2018 18:44

If you bought it then you own it. You could offer to sell it to them if you don't need it.

FirstNameSurname · 15/05/2018 19:16

She's just playing on our newness then. It was very "well of course the pony's stuff comes back with the pony." Some stuff I wouldn't have even brought had I known the pony was only staying with us for a short time until she got a closer offer. So I definitely didn't want to just hand it over.

OP posts:
FabulouslyGlamorousFerret · 15/05/2018 19:18

Cheeky bastards!!!

MrsMozart · 15/05/2018 19:19

The stuff you bought is yours.

The owner is 'avin' a larff.

Fireinthegrate · 15/05/2018 20:48

You return the pony with the items he came with and no more. The equipment you bought belongs to you, not the pony.
Can't believe the cheek of some people!

Floralnomad · 15/05/2018 20:52

Agree with everybody else , the pony goes back with what he came with and nothing more .

Karigan1 · 15/05/2018 21:12

Lmao owners so definitely trying it on! Pony goes back only with what pony came with

TheDinosaurRoars · 15/05/2018 22:03

Just think, if you bought a horse box and bigger car to tow with whilst you loaned the pony, you wouldn’t give that to the owner. The tack etc is the same principle but on a far smaller scale.

Dontknowwhatimdoing · 16/05/2018 15:26

I agree with everyone else. I would only qualify it by saying, anything you have replaced due to wear and tear should go back with the pony. So, if a rug got trashed, and you had to buy new, then they should get the new one.

Whatdoiladymcbeth · 16/05/2018 15:30

Cheeky equine fuckery!

Absolutely not, your stuff so you keep it! I hate it when people see a novice and take advantage.

You are well rid of this owner. What a joke. Angry on your behalf!

Tell her to do one and save for your own horse. Far less aggravation, believe it or not.

FirstNameSurname · 16/05/2018 18:09

Thanks everyone. Just emailed to say all stuff returned was what pony came with and in good condition. Extras belong to DD not the pony.

Think most of the issue comes with this pony being the owners baby. She seems to think everyone should treat her as such and cant see why I wouldnt send the extras.

I was sad to see pony go but am starting to see it as a lucky escape from owner. We are viewing new pony's and will only have a short trial before buying. Lesson learnt.

OP posts:
Scabbersley · 17/05/2018 10:45

She's being a CF

Fwiw, I returned a loan horse with a brand new, very expensive rug as the owner wanted to borrow it until she got a new one 'in a week or so'. Fast forward a month, the owner has the horse pts and to add insult to injury, sells our rug on Facebook!

Barbaro · 17/05/2018 21:28

She is being a cheeky fucker. I did give a rug to a horse I had on loan when I gave him back, but only because it wouldn't fit my new horse and I still liked the loan one, plus it suited him. You do not have to so the same and shouldn't.

puppymouse · 21/05/2018 20:32

What a close escape you had! Just to add my experience - I loaned a mare for 7 months and in that time her field companion trashed her Turnout. I replaced it and sent the one I bought back with her. I also bought and had fitted a brand new saddle. Despite the fact that her old saddle didn't fit her anymore, I kept my saddle as my new boy fitted it. Owner did think about buying off me but then the horse was retired.

I can't believe she wanted all the stuff you bought!

Gabilan · 23/05/2018 12:15

You return the pony with the items he came with and no more. The equipment you bought belongs to you, not the pony

This.

wiccamum · 25/05/2018 21:57

Defo cf! I’ve just taken on my first loan, similar to yourselves op. I’m a bit new to all this, but you must get a loan agreement if you do this again. I specified that any new tack, equipment, rugs, anything was my property and will stay with me if the loan agreement ends. I have a good relationship with the owner (so far) but it’s easy for someone to take advantage. I’ve already decided to invest in a few bits and bobs myself, as I intend to do some schooling with this green horse. But it is still my property. I recommend keeping a personal inventory of everything you invest in, especially if it is kept on the yard, and make sure it comes back to you if and when the loan finishes. Good luck op

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.