My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Discuss horse riding and ownership on our Horse forum.

The tack room

Which Clip?

5 replies

WillowKnicks · 11/09/2017 13:52

DDs pony is coming up to her 3rd winter with us & she's had a hunter clip previously but she is very fine & we really struggle to keep weight on in winter.

We had decided to probably just give her a blanket clip this year but now DD has started doing dressage (of which I know nothing!) & I wondered if that is not the done thing in dressage or doesn't matter?

OP posts:
Auntiedahlia · 11/09/2017 14:47

If she's a fine pony who struggles to keep weight on is there a need to clip her at all? Does she get particularly sweaty when worked?

RatherBeRiding · 11/09/2017 15:47

It really won't matter from the competition point of view which clip you have, or whether the pony isn't clipped at all. If all she is doing is dressage and light schooling then I would go for a low trace clip or a chaser clip or even just a bib clip depending on how thick her coat is.

I have a very fine 3/4 TB who grows a coat like a woolly mammoth! Even light hacking makes him sweat so we clip out completely, double rug and shovel him full of micronised linseed and haylage to keep the weight on.

WillowKnicks · 12/09/2017 19:50

Thanks for the replies.

She is very sweaty, so that's why we always did the hunter clip plus DD did SJ with her.

Think we'll go with the blanket clip & linseed.

OP posts:
doozeldog · 13/09/2017 18:54

What about a Irish? That way the neck, chest, shoulders and belly is clipped

IsItTimeForGinYet · 13/09/2017 20:29

I would do a blanket clip. Will keep her back warm and she won't get too sweaty.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.