My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Discuss horse riding and ownership on our Horse forum.

The tack room

Martin Clunes Heavy Horse Power.

16 replies

SaggyOldClothCatpuss · 07/02/2013 22:39

Anyone else watch it? It was very good. The fishing horses were amazing. I did wish her done a section on Shetlands though!

OP posts:
chocolatecakeystuff · 07/02/2013 22:43

Watching it on plus one as we speak x

Plomino · 07/02/2013 22:45

Oh I've got this on the planner for tomorrow !

Pixel · 07/02/2013 23:36

Have recorded it as I've just got back from a brilliant charity comedy night. Will watch it tomorrow night while dh is at work Smile.

50BalesOfHay · 08/02/2013 00:28

it was fantastic, and the fishing horse Clunes rode looked a lot like DH's Belgian Draft. We are fans of heavy horses, there's just something about them (but when she's stroppy she's a real handful)

CountryCob · 08/02/2013 09:21

Made me want a Clydesdale (and the farm to work one in), also I liked the Stallion Axel, especially when he did his detour to the mare when Martin Clunes was driving him, that had the potential to go horribly wrong, not ridden a stallion in a while but remember that warning squel!

Butkin · 08/02/2013 10:12

Enjoyed the show more than I thought I would. His enthusiasm is infectious and his increased knowledge of horses made him a better presenter than his previous series.

I was astonished though that they let him drive the Budweiser team through those busy streets. Could have gone horribly wrong!

Pixel · 08/02/2013 21:29

Watched it now, thoroughly enjoyed it, although I wanted someone to get that bloomin' jack russell out of the way!
Felt a bit sorry for 'the boys' being hitched up to the stroppy stallion and dragged through the river but they did well didn't they Smile.

Eve · 08/02/2013 21:32

The driving chap teaching is my farrier as are his sons.

Does that counts a claim to fame?

SaggyOldClothCatpuss · 08/02/2013 21:37

Id have happily seen that Jack Russell get a good boot from the horse! Little rat!

OP posts:
BehindLockNumberNine · 09/02/2013 15:06

It was absolutely fantastic, his obvious love for horses and especially for his 'boys' is so obvious. I just love him and could listen to his voice for hours...

My favourite was the visit to the Italian Vineyard owner who had a Comptois. We had the pleasure of watching the Comptois team (wearing their lovely Carry On Comptois hoodies) at the Weald and Downland heavy horse show last year and I have fallen in love with them.

Love all heavy horses though, if I am ever going to own a horse it will be a heavy one!

Pixel · 09/02/2013 16:24

I liked the comptois best too, looked like a real sweetheart.

I'm now wishing we had electricity at the field so I could use a vacuum cleaner on dhorse, I wonder if one of those little hand-held dustbuster jobbies would be any good?

I wish those clydesdales hadn't looked quite so much like dhorse. My sister is always saying she reckons he's part clydesdale and I'd hate her to be proved right Grin.

BehindLockNumberNine · 09/02/2013 16:27

Have just looked at your pictures Pixel, dhorse is stunning!! (and indeed a bit Clydesdaley Grin)

I just love love love heavy horses, I long for the day I am brave (and light) enough to get back in the saddle...

Pixel · 09/02/2013 16:56

Thank you! He's not looking too stunning atm, what with the beard, and the mud and the dreadlocked mane and tail. Roll on spring I say.
I've always said he should be in harness really and some people in our area have recently had their cob broken to drive a carriage. He is the absolute spitting image of dhorse and I would so love to see them as a pair.
(actually if I'd been rich I could have had dhorse's full brother at the same time I bought him. He's a year younger and a darker bay. I often wonder where he went).

Pondy1955 · 10/02/2013 07:32

Hi there, I missed last week's episode but a friend told me that the programme can be bought as a DVD. I've searched for this but can't find it anywhere. Did she imagine it or has it not been released yet?

Thanks, Joan

careergirl · 10/02/2013 16:23

i don't think it has been released yet but his original series HOrsepower has

Pondy1955 · 11/02/2013 07:32

Thanks careergirl, I thought that might be the case. I'll try and catch the programme this week - perhaps it will be mentioned again.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.