My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Discuss horse riding and ownership on our Horse forum.

The tack room

Advice on first show please

7 replies

mousetours · 17/11/2011 18:31

Hi
My DD who is 9 has been riding for 5 years at our local stables. She has recently joined the school riding club and is riding once a week at a new stables. She has the opportunity to enter a show at the new stables in Dec. The classes she wants to enter are the 1ft 6 jumping and the best rider class. She will be riding one of the riding schools ponies - we do not find out which one till nearer the time!

She will have the opportunity to practice at our regular stables but will be riding a different pony who cannot be used for the show as we have no transport and I have no idea how a riding school pony who has never been outside the stables will react to a new environment.

I am under no illusions that she is going to be placed but I want to give her the best chances possible so I wonder if anyone can give us some tips especially for the best rider class.

OP posts:
Olderyetwilder · 17/11/2011 20:21

A riding school show will be fun, so just encourage her to ride confidently and learn to plan her way around the course, then just go and enjoy it! It's all good experience

Abbicob · 18/11/2011 11:59

Best rider classes are just what they say and the judge will judge her rising ability and not the pony.

I would get her to practice a really nice simple show for the day.
Such as walk away from the judge trot at the first corner, figure of eight in trot and then do the same in canter (if she is cantering) and then back to walk and a really nice square halt, big smile and salute.

If she practises a simple show it should give her the confidence on the day that she will remember what she is doing even if the pony is different.

Good luck and hope she has fun

Abbicob · 18/11/2011 12:00

Should be riding ability not rising ability - D'oh

BlueChampagne · 18/11/2011 12:49

Definitely relax and enjoy - or at least look like you're enjoying it! Hopefully it will be the first of many.

mousetours · 18/11/2011 13:32

Thank you, some great advice especially the simple figure of 8 show. I think I'm more nervous than she is!

OP posts:
Butkin · 20/11/2011 13:44

See if they have a clear round jumping class before the show starts (most do for a few extra quid). Let her do that for practise as much better than just jumping one jump in the practise ring over and over. It would give her confidence without the pressure of feeling she has to go clear.

When her class is nearly ready to start make sure somebody is there to hold her pony so she can walk it carefully and work out her route. Try to ensure she isn't first to go so that she can watch a few more experienced kids first.

horseylady · 21/11/2011 19:36

Tell her to smile and remember to be polite and remember her manners towards the judge and to pat the pony!! Very important to me when judging!! Good luck and I hope she enjoys it xx

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.