My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Discuss horse riding and ownership on our Horse forum.

The tack room

What colour jacket please?

9 replies

Mousesmummy · 06/05/2011 22:22

DD is entering her first show in a few weeks and we are a bit bewildered about jackets??
Pony is a very light grey, with darker dappled 'bum' (sure that is not the correct term but ykwim!).
Her hat is black velvet type.
What colour jacket should she wear? Friend has said tweed but when I have just googled there about a million different types of tweed????
Any help greatly appreciated x

OP posts:
Loshad · 06/05/2011 22:56

show wear is a total minefield - is pony m and m or regular show version or shp - if latter 2 needs to be black or navy - if m and m tweed - you can tone the colour to match pony (if you have an eye for such things!!)

Mousesmummy · 06/05/2011 23:12

Pony is New Forest Welsh X
Am starting to see that yes Smile

OP posts:
Saggyoldclothcatpuss · 07/05/2011 20:38

Mountain and moorland then. A tweed jacket is required for mountain and moorland classes. I think you Could still get away with black or blue for everything else though.

Mousesmummy · 07/05/2011 22:19

We ended up getting her a black jacket with velvet collar this afternoon, black boots, beige jodphurs and black gloves. Grandad has lent her a red tie and I am now just surfing the net looking for a red browband but JESUS they are expensive huh???
Any ideas anyone? Really do not want to spend £50 on a set (even though they do look lovely all matching bows etc!!)
£50 is more than 2 weeks rent Confused

OP posts:
cowboylover · 07/05/2011 23:59

I used to wrap my own with good quality velvet ribbon but that was for showjumping to co-ordinate more than anything as my boy was not the show type.

Sounds strange but have you tried Amazon? I got some bargains off there recently.

Butkin · 08/05/2011 20:28

Don't want to send you into a spin but black jacket/hat would only be for showjumping.

What show class is she entering and how old is she? If doing a flat native breeds type class would normally be a tweed jacket and blue or brown hat with beige/yellow jods, jodphur boots (rather than long boots) with jod clips and brown gloves although black would probably be fine.

You'd only need a plain leather browband. Coloured browbands are for show ponies.

Mousesmummy · 08/05/2011 23:31

She is doing First Ridden Equitation, In hand, Handy Pony and Gymkhana Games - will black be ok for those? She is 9.
Thanks for the replies ladies - we are on a STEEP learning curve Smile

OP posts:
Butkin · 09/05/2011 22:34

Mousemummy, I'm sure she'll be fine. You normally don't wear a jacket for gymkhana games - just something with long sleeves.

All sounds good fun and as she's not doing a native class then she should be OK. If she like showing you can work on what gear to buy depending on what she wants to do.

Have fun and let us know how she gets on!

seeker · 09/05/2011 22:42

i though under 16s wore blue not black - but I could be wrong and/or hopelessly old fashioned.

Dd has a lovely fitted 'ratcatcher" I bought on ebay. There are always loads of jackets there, but watch the sizing - the older ones are usually vey small.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.