Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Government closing Schools by stealth...

chilledteacher · 04/11/2020 21:52

Large school. Government has just updated their shielding advice for vulnerable staff. I've had 7 text messages tonight from staff telling me they won't be in tomorrow because they fall into these categories. That's before I even turn the answering machine off and listen to the messages in the morning. Last time we lost 45 staff to shielding (special school so we had to continue to offer onsite provision throughout) but a lot of parents kept their kids off too so it balanced just about.

I know this isn't AIBU but AIBU to think the Government are saying "schools won't close" so that when we are forced to close because we can't remain open safely due to staffing they aren't the bad guys?!

OP's posts:
Please
or

MrsHamlet · 04/11/2020 22:02

You are not being unreasonable

Please
or

StaffAssociationRepresentative · 04/11/2020 22:14

I am in a small school and last time we have 5 staff off and probably another 5 who could have been off.

I reckon they will all shield this time. School is hanging onto the two supply teachers we secured this week.

Please
or

Racoonworld · 05/11/2020 00:51

Are they actually on the shielding list or just vulnerable? If just vulnerable there is no guidance to stay at home? They should be in teaching. If they are all on the shielding list sounds like you unfortunately have a really high number of teachers who need to be off!

Please
or

Piggywaspushed · 05/11/2020 19:05

Are you sure they are in shielding group?.

I have every sympathy for vulnerable staff (my DH is one) and can see why they are frightened , concerned. anxious - even more so than most of us. Unfortunately , the gov no longer gives a shit about the CV (or the family of CEV and CV) and they are supposed to work .

The shilding lsit s really quite small now.

Please
or

ValancyRedfern · 05/11/2020 19:27

We have a teaching staff of around 70 and only 1 teacher shielding that I know of. I think you're particularly unlucky!

Please
or

SansaSnark · 05/11/2020 20:14

I am normally the last person to question this, but 45 staff shielding does seem incredibly high.

But yes, it will be additional strain on schools and will contribute to school closures.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.