Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

What are your HT's thoughts re when we might reopen?

DrMadelineMaxwell · 25/04/2020 23:01

Ours was very optimistic at the outset that it would be over as soon as possible and may only a few weeks we were closed for.
Then they were hoping for after half term, so early June.
Now, they're saying that they are hearing that it might be later, not helped by the fact that we are in Wales and are being told that we are reaching our peak later than England. So we are being told to start to prepare in case it's longer term and we don't go back til Sept. It's obv not a definite, but it's interesting to hear him actually voice that.

OP's posts:
Please
or

StaffAssociationRepresentative · 26/04/2020 00:01

When we left ours said he was hoping for just after half term but we needed to be prepared for September return.

Please
or

Bridecilla · 26/04/2020 00:04

Same as me and the rest of the UK. No idea.

Please
or

Pud26 · 26/04/2020 00:06

We have been told to wait and wait. My HT has been told to prepare for after the summer holidays at the earliest but the worst is January 2021... I'm in Scotland.

Please
or

JustStayHome · 26/04/2020 00:09

September

Please
or

blue25 · 26/04/2020 00:11

September, but potentially not back to fully operational until January.

Please
or

Emerald4512 · 26/04/2020 00:13

Mine thinks beginning of July (UK)

Please
or

OneOfTheGrundys · 26/04/2020 07:59

Unofficially? Due to staff absence/isolating/shielded colleagues my hod has said they predict the vibe is that anything between now and September will be childcare.
Poss a proper return in September.

Please
or

MaryBerrysBomberJacket · 26/04/2020 08:16

We still think September as we cannot socially distance at all; even without Y11 and Y13 we have 2000 students, most in classes if over 30 (Only bottom set has 20). We are predicting a long, long Christmas shutdown too; if having to isolate and wait for a teat for every cough and temperature we'd be down to 50% staff at all times!

Please
or

Ilikefresias · 26/04/2020 08:43

Mine thinks after May half term, SEND school so no hope of any social distancing at all!!

Please
or

GoGadgetGo · 26/04/2020 08:46

Well if the Governemnt don't even know, I'm not sure how
HTs would have a clue.

Please
or

GoGadgetGo · 26/04/2020 08:47

*Government

Please
or

WhyNotMe40 · 26/04/2020 08:48

My HT refuses to comment! Which means he doesn't know

Please
or

donquixotedelamancha · 26/04/2020 08:51

Ours was adamant schools would not shut. She'd open tomorrow if given the chance.

I think she sees the virus as an excellent chance to remove expensive older teachers without the lengthy process of harassing them to leave.

Please
or

LittlePesto · 26/04/2020 08:51

When it started my HT said mid May she would expect us to be back. Now in emails she is talking about August return, we're in Scotland so we finish end of June for summer.

Please
or

Waiting1987 · 26/04/2020 08:51

August

Please
or

Usuallytootiredbuthappyanyway · 26/04/2020 08:58

Ours thinks September at earliest. Of course they don't know anymore than any of the rest of us but that's what they have said.

Please
or

WomanIsTaken · 26/04/2020 09:17

Like me, he has no idea, and is just awaiting government guidance. I'm glad he's not given to speculation.

Please
or

Letseatgrandma · 26/04/2020 09:25

Mine thinks June.

The difficulty will be staffing the school though, as we have had a significant number with shielding letters which last for 12 weeks from the date you get them. Some only got them last week!

We will not look anything like our usual school if we open in June and several classes would have to have a supply teacher, presuming we can even find one?!

My head thinks we’ll be back in small groups though as opening up with hundreds of pupils (and hundreds of parents/carers) will be a social distancing catastrophe.

Please
or

PumpkinPie2016 · 26/04/2020 09:38

Mine isn't saying anything about when we might reopen which I think is good. No one really knows and so she isn't speculating.

Right now, we are taking each week as it comes and the focus is on continuing to develop the new curriculum but also on keeping each other going. Her email briefing each week is actually a good read - so positive and lighthearted.

I feel genuinely lucky to work for my headteacher at the moment!

Please
or

SabineSchmetterling · 26/04/2020 09:49

I’m SLT and don’t think our HT has any more information than what is available to the general public. I don’t think the government even know yet. Our scientists are undoubtedly going to be looking carefully at the impact that reopening schools has in other countries. As SLT we are planning for the rest of the Summer Term from home. We don’t know for sure whether that will be the case, but planning for things like year 6-7 transition and Sixth Form taster lessons takes time, so we have to get the wheels moving just in case.
We are also getting ready for the possibility that we may need to change things like parents evenings and other events in the next academic year to account for ongoing social distancing rules.

Please
or

orangeicecream · 26/04/2020 09:53

Ours has mentioned after half and September so clearly doesn't know.

Please
or

exLtEveDallas · 26/04/2020 09:55

Mine thinks 1 June and I agree with him.

Please
or

Hibbetyhob · 26/04/2020 10:21

Our LA is currently planning based on mid / end June but no idea why they’ve decided that’s the time period to go for!

Please
or

Letseatgrandma · 26/04/2020 10:23

Our LA is currently planning based on mid / end June but no idea why they’ve decided that’s the time period to go for!

Is that when the original 12 weeks for vulnerable people being off would run out?

Please
or

freddiethegreat · 26/04/2020 10:24

Mine was thinking September but last week said 1st June, but with all due caveats. She did get the date of schools shutdown & lockdown right so I prick up my ears when she predicts!

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.