Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Freezing Order on Ski Chalet over Unpaid Debt

antelopevalley · 14/06/2022 22:35

The Telegraph has reported yet another scandal for Prince Andrew involving an unpaid debt.

"The Duke of York has been branded an “absolute fool” after becoming embroiled in another £1.6 million debt battle. The “business debt” is owed to a Swiss couple who are understood to have placed a freezing order on his Verbier ski chalet 18 months ago. Isabelle de Rouvre – a French socialite who sold the chalet in 2014 to the Duke and Sarah, Duchess of York, but later sued them over an outstanding £6.7 million debt – said she pitied the Swiss pair caught up in the legal wrangling, knowing the stress she endured in recouping her money.
“It was a horrible experience,” she said. “I do not understand how he operates and I feel very sorry for people who are involved with him in business.”
The Duke’s latest debt came to light after proving a complicating factor in his ongoing sale of the chalet, called Helora, which has been in train for several months.
A source close to the Duke told The Telegraph: “Talks are underway to resolve the matter. It in no way prevents the sale of the chalet, which is proceeding.” The Duke is said to be disputing the amount owed, but does not deny the unpaid debt.
Ms de Rouvre, whose own money was finally repaid last year, said the Duke and Duchess of York “are so crazy”, adding: “He is an absolute fool and I just cannot understand how he goes about his life. Really it is a tragedy and so bad for the Queen. I don’t know how she manages with them. I am lucky that a deal was made and it is the end of the matter for me. I am fed up with the whole thing.”"

www.telegraph.co.uk/royal-family/2022/06/10/absolute-fool-prince-andrew-embroiled-another-debt-battle-time/

OP's posts:
Please
or

SpinMeARiver · 15/06/2022 06:11

This is really intriguing. So if the chalet still isn't actually actually sold, and Ms de Rouvre received her money - £6.7 million - last year, did the queen pay that for him?

I loved de Rouvre's comments.

“He is an absolute fool and I just cannot understand how he goes about his life. Really it is a tragedy and so bad for the Queen. I don’t know how she manages with them"

I presume 'them' is the whole York circus.

Please
or

TequilaSunriseforme · 15/06/2022 08:34

Watching with interest.

Please
or

antelopevalley · 15/06/2022 10:05

@SpinMeARiver I assume the Queen paid? Or one of Andrew's dodgy friends?
And the quote is surprisingly frank.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Raspberryjam22 · 15/06/2022 10:05

I very much doubt anyone will have any sympathy for him ( apart from Sarah). He really is a horror show .

Please
or

CathyorClaire · 15/06/2022 20:26

I recall wondering about this on another thread earlier this year.

We were told the debt to the previous owner had been repaid in late 2021 yet Fergie plus blood princesses plus hanger on hubbies all managed a jolly in it in Jan/Feb this year.

Now we have another hitch in the sale which apparently isn't a hitch Hmm

I'm sensing Mummy sighing and digging deep yet again.

Please
or

Puzzledandpissedoff · 16/06/2022 10:40

Stupidly, I hadn't realised the sale wasn't completed until I read it on here - I honestly thought it had gone through

Even without the "public position" I'm sure Andrew's still in touch with his dodgy mates, and with the Queen backing him there's probably still profit in it for those who choose to fund him - in fact he could be even more desperate to cash in while his mum's still here to lend a veneer of respectability to the whole show

But then he's not alone in that

Please
or

antelopevalley · 16/06/2022 10:45

I thought the sale had gone through too until I read this article. I thought the sale was supposed to pay his legal fees. So I wonder if the Queen paid those?

OP's posts:
Please
or

Puzzledandpissedoff · 16/06/2022 10:53

I've no idea how long you get before legal fees have to be paid, antelopevalley, though I don't imagine they'll wait forever

But yes - if there's a need for ready money I haven't the least doubt mummy (ie: us) will cough up

Please
or

Viviennemary · 16/06/2022 10:57

Fergie is just as bad with debt. Years ago her debts were always featuring in the news. Thats why she took on the weightwatchers role.

Please
or

Roussette · 17/06/2022 12:24

Viviennemary · 16/06/2022 10:57

Fergie is just as bad with debt. Years ago her debts were always featuring in the news. Thats why she took on the weightwatchers role.

And Wedgewood. And flogging her endless books.
She was/is incapable of living within her means, hence her in 96acre Royal Lodge with the ex.
Without him and us accepting her reapting the benefits of that massive pile, she'd probably be bankrupt. Which is why she's just done another interview saying what a good kind man he is Hmm

Please
or

Viviennemary · 17/06/2022 18:13

At least Fergie knows not to bite the hand that feeds her. I'll say that for her.

Please
or

CathyorClaire · 17/06/2022 20:49

At least Fergie knows not to bite the hand that feeds her. I'll say that for her

I agree but that said it's an interesting dynamic with infuriatingly unanswered questions about what her gravy train driver boorish ex has seen in her over the years she's regularly sold him down the river.

Please
or

Daisyroseandhyacinth · 17/06/2022 21:51

At least Fergie knows not to bite the hand that feeds her. I'll say that for her

I agree but that said it's an interesting dynamic with infuriatingly unanswered questions about what her gravy train driver boorish ex has seen in her over the years she's regularly sold him down the river.

It’s all a very odd scenario really.

Please
or

MaulPerton · 17/06/2022 22:16

I actually don't think they have much choice, which, conveniently, plays out very nicely for them both - she gets a seat on the gravy train for life while he gets an ever-obliging panderer, also for life. They are locked together into a relationship of a kind because people that close to the throne cannot be seen to fail financially. Sarah may have been frozen out socially, although she is making a comeback now, but she will always be supported financially. That's what happened to Diana. She lost her HRH, and was not permitted to attend family get togethers such as Christmas, but she would never have been allowed to appear on her uppers. This begs the question of whether H and M, while ostracised socially, are still being financially supported and will continue to be into the future The answer is yes Have married-ins worked this out? Of course they have.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.