Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet does not check the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you're worried about the health of your pet, please speak to a vet or qualified professional.

Cat with sore paw

Hiyawotcha · 27/06/2022 19:54

This is Franco. He’s 11 months old and a lovey boy. I’ve just noticed that he’s limping a bit and has a very swollen front paw. I don’t think it hurts generally - I’ve had a bit of a poke, it moves ok and he doesn’t go mad. But he’s definitely not putting lots weight on it. Though once he gets going he seems relatively unbothered if a little slow. Is it possible that it could be a bee sting? And is it likely that he would need immediate vet care, or would it be ok to see what happens overnight and take him in the morning if he’s still swollen? I have had a tendency in the past to overreact, but could pay for an out of hours video call (last time I did that the cat in question (Cato) immediately perked up and I felt rather foolish).

Cat with sore paw Cat with sore paw Cat with sore paw
OP's posts:
Please
or

Hiyawotcha · 27/06/2022 19:55

Sorry - that last photo doesn’t really show the scale. He just has such lovely eyes. 🤣

OP's posts:
Please
or

Hiyawotcha · 27/06/2022 19:56

Better image.

Cat with sore paw
OP's posts:
Please
or

Alfixnm · 27/06/2022 19:57

If he seems pretty happy in himself - lively, doing his usual things, eating etc - then it's not an emergency for tonight. But do fast him overnight and take him to the vet in the morning.

If he seems unwell in any way, call the vets for advice tonight.

Please
or

Shehasadiamondinthesky · 27/06/2022 19:59

He has an abcess. He needs to go to the vet.

Please
or

Hiyawotcha · 27/06/2022 20:02

Thanks! He seems his usually self really, other than looking like he’s wearing a furry boxing glove. It doesn’t feel hot, he’s drinking and had supper as normal. Hopefully will be normal
size in the morning.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Fluffycloudland77 · 27/06/2022 20:03

Ring the vet in the morning. He does have lovely eyes!

Please
or

BlanketsBanned · 27/06/2022 20:08

That is very swollen. Has he been out and cut it, been bitten, what do his pads look like. I would call a vet for advice. Cats hide pain.

Please
or

Cascais · 27/06/2022 20:10

Beautiful cat

Please
or

Hiyawotcha · 27/06/2022 20:17

His pads look and feel totally unbroken/no visible trauma. He’s using the arm. But just had a bit of a wrestle and it looks like the equivalent of his thumb is slightly swollen. I wonder if he’s pulled the claw while climbing. Can’t see any foreign bodies.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Alfixnm · 27/06/2022 20:20

Deffo sounds like a job for the morning then OP! There's a chance your vet will have to sedate him, depending on the exact cause (e.g. to lance an abscess or take xrays) so do keep him indoors tonight and don't allow him any food until he's seen. It's OK to give him water though.
I'm sure they'll get him sorted in no time - best of luck!

Please
or

Hiyawotcha · 27/06/2022 20:23

thanks all - luckily he’s had his supper. I’ll ring as soon as they open and hope we can get an appointment. Or he’s had a miraculous un-swelling overnight…

OP's posts:
Please
or

BlanketsBanned · 27/06/2022 21:28

Poor puss. Hope he gets sorted soon. Will he let you examine his claws.

Please
or

TheSpottedZebra · 28/06/2022 18:30

How is he today?

Please
or

Hiyawotcha · 28/06/2022 18:38

Meant to come back and update. Was at least half the size this morning. Vet pretty certain he took on a bee and was stung. Serves him right! It’s barely perceptible now. Meanwhile his brother got stuck on my neighbour’s roof last night involving a ladder rescue and the other one has a scratch on his nose so clearly has had a fight at some point.
have had cats all my life more or less. Have never known them to be this much trouble! Have three - Cato is 18 months and Monty and Franco are 11 months. They’re all a bit loopy.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Plump82 · 28/06/2022 19:49

Was just about to say that looks like he had wasp sting. Our girl had a paw exactly the same size last year after being stung. It went down after a couple of days.

Please
or

Hiyawotcha · 28/06/2022 21:32

It looked like a furry boxing glove. 🤣 But totally normal sized now. Hope he’s learnt his lesson.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Wolfiefan · 28/06/2022 21:35

One of our cats when I was a child did similar. She used to try and catch bees or wasps by clapping her front paws together. 😳

Please
or

Clarich007 · 04/07/2022 23:49

My husband's chdhood cat took on a bee and it stung him on the face. He had a fat lip for days.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.