My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Join our community of cat lovers on the Mumsnet Cat forum for kitten advice and help with cat behaviour.

The litter tray

kitten had diarrhea

14 replies

GastonTheLadyBoy · 29/06/2014 07:49

Our wee kitten is 10 wks and has been with us for 2. This past week her poo has started to get softer and softer and yesterday was just pure water. She manages to get to her tray but it leaks out as shes digging a hole. She has also leaked on floor and her bed. Nothing has changed and she's been great since we got her. Cat novice here and quite worried.

OP posts:
cozietoesie · 29/06/2014 08:14

I'd vet her. Has she been eating and drinking/had any other symptoms?

GastonTheLadyBoy · 29/06/2014 08:24

She's still eating and drinking ok no other symptoms. I'll bring her first thing in the morning.

OP posts:
GastonTheLadyBoy · 29/06/2014 10:21

Ok just checked her food bowl has hardly touched it. Did drink some milk though. Hope it's not something serious. Also she won't sleep in her bed now even though I scrubbed it cleaned. She sleeps on top. Will she eventually go back in.

OP posts:
cozietoesie · 29/06/2014 10:24

Was that cow's milk, *Gaston8 ? It's bad for many/most cats due to lactose intolerance and can actually lead to diarrhoea and tummy problems. (Even though they usually like it.)

RockinHippy · 29/06/2014 10:27

I'd take her to the vets too, probably nothing serious, but just like babies, even minor stuff is potentially more serious when they are tiny

You mention milk - I'm presuming that's cats milk ?? - if not, ordinary milk will make a cat ill like this, they aren't meant to drink it - waters always best anyway, cat milk is a treat.

McSnuff · 29/06/2014 21:10

Is she on Whiskas kitten food? That went straight through one of our mogs - a switch to Felix sorted him out.

GastonTheLadyBoy · 30/06/2014 08:28

No it's cat milk. She seems a lot better. Only had one poo yesterday still a bit soft but not like water, and she's eating now. She's on Felix wet food and I was mixing it with go cat. But I've stopped that after reading another thread. Could it have been that?

OP posts:
cozietoesie · 30/06/2014 08:40

I suspect something about the food - if only because it started after she'd been with you a week and she was getting worse. It could be an infection but maybe the balance of food you've been giving her isn't right for her particular constitution. Too rich perhaps even though she's a kitten.

Maybe try just water from now on (cat milk only as a treat) - and what food is she on now ? Just Felix wet kitten food?

Glad she's improved anyway.

GastonTheLadyBoy · 30/06/2014 09:53

Yeah Felix wet food just. I do put water down but she won't drink it. She did a normal poo this morning thankfully.

OP posts:
cozietoesie · 30/06/2014 10:06

Good news - sounds as if she's either beaten any infection she had or the new food regime is working.

(By the way - cats obtain a huge proportion of their liquid intake from their wet food so if she's on wet food, you likely won't actually see her taking any water. (And she could be taking some from taps/the toilet or whatever: they often do obtain water from strange places.) I'd just ensure that she has fresh water available if she wants it and leave it at that.)

GastonTheLadyBoy · 30/06/2014 18:34

Thanks everyone. She seems to be back to her normal hyper self. She's a wee dote.

OP posts:
GastonTheLadyBoy · 30/06/2014 21:58

Thanks everyone. She seems to be back to her normal hyper self. She's a wee dote.

OP posts:
GastonTheLadyBoy · 30/06/2014 21:59

OP posts:
GastonTheLadyBoy · 30/06/2014 21:59

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.