My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Join our community of cat lovers on the Mumsnet Cat forum for kitten advice and help with cat behaviour.

The litter tray

Cattery or cat sitter?

4 replies

WhoKnowsWhereTheMistletoes · 30/12/2013 09:01

We adopted two one year old rescue cats in October. We haven't left them overnight yet but are now thinking ahead to next summer, we normally go away for a fortnight.

What are the pros and cons of catteries vs car sitters? We have lots of local cat friends who could cover short breaks but think that's too much to ask for a fortnight. What should we be looking for with a professional cat sitter or cattery?

OP posts:
Fluffycloudland77 · 30/12/2013 09:50

I like catterys because I know where he is every night and they have vet cover.

I'd worry about car accidents etc.

Fasterkillpussycat · 30/12/2013 09:57

I use a cat sitter as mine get angsty in a cattery and like to still be able to go out and keep their normal routines.

myrtleWilson · 30/12/2013 11:23

I've used both but now stick with cat sitter. Ours are house cats so I don't worry about car accidents. The cats don't like going in the car and would get freaked out when cat carriers were taken out of cupboard so much less stressful all round now we use sitters

WhoKnowsWhereTheMistletoes · 30/12/2013 21:41

Ours stay in most of the time now, but it might be a different story by summer. We have a lockable catflap, so if we used a cat sitter would want them to open it in the morning and close it in the evening, so they aren't out at night. The road thing is a worry though, a friend had a cat run over while being looked after by a neighbour last year.

I think I might try both for a weekend each in the next couple of months and see how we get on, thank you.

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.