Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Aids - the unheard tapes

clpsmum · 30/06/2022 06:58

Did anyone else see this. Just so heartbreaking. Forgot how terribly people were treated

OP's posts:
Please
or

HotHat · 30/06/2022 11:33

I watched the first episode last night and it is shocking how slow the response seemed to be to the emerging virus and the horrific effects.

There just didn't seem to be enough information available on the cause or mode of spread etc, why? was it because public health professionals were underfunded, incompetent or what.

It surprised me though even before AIDs that gay men weren't practising safe sex. They said in episode 1 how condoms etc were a new thing as homosexuals obviously hadn't had to consider contraception before but all kinds of STIs would have been rife with that level of promiscuity that seemed the norm.

I'll watch the rest of the episodes I'm interested to know when the breakthrough occurred and when it went from being a death sentence to a manageable virus.

Please
or

clpsmum · 30/06/2022 22:52

I found it both really heartbreaking and really informative. It was really well done. So many young lives lost such a tragedy and even worse that nobody seemed to care. So so sad

OP's posts:
Please
or

Aquarius1234 · 30/06/2022 23:54

Watching atm. Yeh shocking.

Please
or

Madeintowerhamlets · 01/07/2022 21:08

It’s one of the best things I’ve watched in a long time. So powerful & heartbreaking. The researchers, nurses, gay switchboard staff seemed like such wonderful people. I’ve been recommending it to everyone.

Please
or

TomAllenWife · 03/07/2022 10:52

Oh I thought it was so good, I won't spoil it but I cried at the end it was so beautiful

Please
or

lollipoprainbow · 03/07/2022 12:27

Just caught up, what a moving programme.

Please
or

clpsmum · 03/07/2022 14:32

I can't stop thinking about it tbh. I've emailed the tht to see if there are any volunteer posts near me. So so sad glad that things have moved forward a bit

OP's posts:
Please
or

notawittyname1954 · 03/07/2022 17:58

Am just about to start episode 3. so moving.

Please
or

antelopevalley · 04/07/2022 01:09

@HotHat Condoms were seen as a way to prevent pregnancy. There was little concern about STDs. They were just seen as something you took antibiotics for but no big deal.

Please
or

clpsmum · 04/07/2022 05:24

@HotHat that surprised me too but made sense when they said condoms were new and only used to prevent pregnancy. Gay men didn't see the need to practice safe sex. Well nobody did really. It said chlamydia and syphillis cases were almost wiped out overnight in gay men once aids safer sex campaign appeared as they all started practising safe sex. How ignorant we all were

OP's posts:
Please
or

Womencanlift · 04/07/2022 21:56

I have binged it this evening, on episode 3 now. One of the best produced documentaries I have seen in a long time. The actors lip synching the tapes could have been so cheesy but it is very very well done

Please
or

PanicPrevention · 04/07/2022 22:12

Where can I watch this please?

Please
or

clpsmum · 04/07/2022 22:14

@PanicPrevention it was on bbc two so I think you will get it on catch up

OP's posts:
Please
or

HermioneWeasley · 13/07/2022 22:11

I’ve watched the first two episodes. It’s so sad, and so beautiful and so unapologetically gay.

all those beautiful young men lost. It’s heart breaking.

Please
or

userxx · 15/07/2022 21:35

Just finished this, it's a powerful and tough watch. It must have been terrifying living with HIV back then, thank god where are in a completely different place now.

Please
or

Doubleraspberry · 27/07/2022 17:59

Just watched the whole thing. You'll have worked out as it went along that one reason information was so scarce because very few people had any idea what was actually going on, although it was made very clear that there were social and political issues brought to bear too.

Sexual health campaigners had been trying to persuade gay men to use condoms to prevent the spread of Hepatitis B for quite a long time before AIDs started to spread, but had got very little purchase in their communities.

I would really recommend reading one of the excellent books on the early days of AIDS if this interested you. And The Band Played On and How To Survive A Plague trace events in the US and The End of Innocence concentrates on the UK.

Please
or

clpsmum · 31/07/2022 23:42

@Doubleraspberry thanks I'll head to Amazon now x

OP's posts:
Please
or

alnawire · 31/07/2022 23:46

I haven't watched it but I definitely will now, thank you for posting about it.

Please
or

NoEffingWay · 04/08/2022 18:26

Watched it and it was both mesmerising and heartbreaking in equal measure.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.