Threads

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Here We Go on BBC iplayer - anyone else love it?

VintageGibbon · 13/05/2022 22:24

Just binge watched all six episodes over two nights and loved it. It stars Jim Howick, the actor who plays the scoutmaster in Ghosts and the Katherine Parkinson, the actress from IT Crowd and Humans.

Alison Steadman as the sugar-feeding granny is brilliant. I liked that despite how utterly useless the husband is at getting a job, the marriage is still a loving one.

Can't tell whether it appeals because it is a bit too close to our family irl in lots of ways or whether it is as brilliant as I think it is.

Anyone else enjoying it?

OP's posts:
Please
or

redfairy · 14/05/2022 02:28

I love it too. Found it by accident and have watched it through twice now. It's a great cast and they're all very relateable. My favourite bit was when Gran got a boyfriend and started offering freebies from his restaurant while the mum practiced her very poor Italian. I hope they'll be another series or a Christmas special.

Please
or

BurnDownTheDiscoHangTheDJ · 14/05/2022 02:52

Yes, really loved it. Have been recommending it to everyone. But for me Tim Key stole the show in episode 3 (I think) as Jim Howick’s arch nemesis.

Have been in love with Howick since I first saw him as one of the George’s on Horrible Histories (“and I’m the fat one!”) and during his fabulous tenure as Gerard with the tube up his nose in Peep Show (he loved the reds). And of course Katherine Parkinson and Alison Steadman are both just brilliant.

Hope there’s a second series.

Please
or

PermanentTemporary · 14/05/2022 03:25

Me too, thought it was great.

Please
or

timestheyarechanging · 14/05/2022 08:47

Loved it! Binged watch as indoors with Covid, I love Alison Steadman

Please
or

timestheyarechanging · 14/05/2022 08:48

It reminded me of Outnumbered which I though was fabulous

Please
or

Sittininafield · 14/05/2022 09:00

Amazing cast - but we watched 15 mins and found it dreadful, gave up. Just seemed so predictable and stupid.

Please
or

VintageGibbon · 15/05/2022 10:35

Sittininafield

Amazing cast - but we watched 15 mins and found it dreadful, gave up. Just seemed so predictable and stupid.

Did you watch the pilot? I didn't like the pilot episode. But the series was great.

OP's posts:
Please
or

SmellsLikeMiddleAgeSpirit · 16/05/2022 16:43

Yes, I didn’t rate the first episode (pilot?) much, but carried on watching and enjoyed it. DH particularly liked it as he’s into archery!

Katherine Parkinson and Jim Howick are excellent comedy actors.

Please
or

Rookie93 · 16/05/2022 19:05

We love it and are slowly working through the episodes. The whole cast work so well together and yes some elements seem all too familiar.

Please
or

MissBattleaxe · 17/05/2022 08:29

I watched because of the cast and stayed for the laugh out loud moments, and there were loads. I hope they keep making it because there's loads of potential here. It's also OK for kids to watch. My 12 year old liked it because "Pam" and "Jen" were in it. Love Jim Howick living off his old career as an archer!

Please
or

Doubleraspberry · 17/05/2022 16:45

Just want to make sure everyone who enjoys this knows that it started off as a one-off called Pandemonium, which is also on iplayer.

Please
or

Newgirls · 17/05/2022 16:49

I started with the birthday episode with the day trip and dogs in it. Found it very funny. There are a lot of those dogs near us. Gran is brilliant.

Please
or

comfortablyfrumpy · 17/05/2022 16:50

Am working my way through gradually. It's so well written, and perfect casting.

Please
or

FasterthanBolt · 17/05/2022 16:57

I really liked it. I liked the way it went back and forth over the period of time. I think my favourite character is Cherry!

Please
or

VintageGibbon · 17/05/2022 22:26

MissBattleaxe

I watched because of the cast and stayed for the laugh out loud moments, and there were loads. I hope they keep making it because there's loads of potential here. It's also OK for kids to watch. My 12 year old liked it because "Pam" and "Jen" were in it. Love Jim Howick living off his old career as an archer!

I know. I love him banging on about how easy Joe Wicks has it, whereas an Olympian lke himself...while he clears a bag of fudge in ten seconds.

OP's posts:
Please
or

VintageGibbon · 17/05/2022 22:28

FasterthanBolt

I really liked it. I liked the way it went back and forth over the period of time. I think my favourite character is Cherry!

She's such a brilliant comedian (comedienne?) I don't think I've seen her in anything else.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Lolabalola · 17/05/2022 22:38

I like it too, was a bit distracted in one episode as the mum was wearing my cardigan, couldn't decide if that was a good thing or if I should bin it immediately!
Cherry is fantastic, her timing and delivery are spot on. She is def the funniest character.

Please
or

MissBattleaxe · 18/05/2022 23:15

@Lolabalola is it the cardi that makes her look like a Jedi?

Please
or

Lolabalola · 18/05/2022 23:17

@MissBattleaxe sadly nothing so exciting
A blue m and s one, very practical and dull 🤣

Please
or

LosingTheWill2022 · 19/05/2022 19:53

Sittininafield

Glad it's not just me.
I saw the cast and couldn't wait - but thought it was dire .

I was so disappointed.

I watched 2 episodes to check I wasn't missing something.
The home movie thing was possibly the most irritating aspect. It takes one character out of the action almost completely. The swinging from one person to another made me feel sick. And it was totally unnecessary as it wasn't used for all the filming. It made no sense to me.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.