Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Old Enough (nippon tv on Netflix)

viques · 03/05/2022 18:08

This so shouldn’t work! Sending two year olds out into the world on messages and errands, watching them cross roads, walk down busy city streets, deal with supermarkets, fish markets, heavy shopping, paying for goods and getting change, having the occasional tearful little wobbles? IT SHOULDNT WORK!

But somehow it does, the kids are safe, they are determined to complete their tasks, they mostly remember what they have to do, they show tenacity, and are unbelievably cute in their little sun hats, matching penguin wellies, with their road crossing flags, their lucky charm bags, their too big carrier bags.

I for one have cancelled my hotline to the NSPCC and am hooked. Japan looks like a lovely place to bring up little children, I love the way there is a community that watches out for vunerable members. And oh, the delicious food, and the way the children tuck into it.

OP's posts:
Please
or

viques · 03/05/2022 22:06

Just me then.Smile

OP's posts:
Please
or

ChocolatemilkBertie · 13/05/2022 19:35

Not just you! My friend sent me a link to this - it’s really interesting to me.

I actually used part of an episode for assembly at school. Of course most ten years olds were saying they’ve never even walked to the postbox at the end of the road alone, let alone gone shopping! They were all in awe.

Please
or

NippyWoowoo · 13/05/2022 19:41

Where can I watch, this sounds fascinating! It says Netflix but what does nippon TV mean?

Please
or

NippyWoowoo · 13/05/2022 19:41

I'm a nanny and 2 is my favourite age 😊

Please
or

Girliefriendlikespuppies · 13/05/2022 19:44

It is good but there were some episodes I didn't like especially when the kids were crying that they didn't want to go. It does highlight how much we (well some parents) mollycoddle kids in this country though!!

Please
or

Cornishmumofone · 13/05/2022 19:45

@NippyWoowoo Nippon is the Japanese word for Japan.

I love this show. It works on Japan because it's a collaborative rather than individualistic society.

Please
or

negomi90 · 13/05/2022 19:50

Also it's all very staged. Routes are planned before hand and all adults on it warned. Children have a big camera crew around them who are too close to for the children not to know they're there.

Please
or

viques · 13/05/2022 19:57

Girliefriendlikespuppies

It is good but there were some episodes I didn't like especially when the kids were crying that they didn't want to go. It does highlight how much we (well some parents) mollycoddle kids in this country though!!

Yes those were hard, but what was amazing was that most of the children persevered and completed their tasks. You could see how proud they were of their achievements . I read a post on here the other day where someone queried whether expecting children of 5 and 6 to sit on a chair in MacDonalds was too much of an ask! I think sometimes our expectations are very low.

OP's posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.