My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Thinking about a tattoo or piercing? Find inspiration and advice on our Tattoo forum.

Tattoos

Where can I buy local anaesthetic cream in UK and which is best?

19 replies

Lisaloolops · 13/07/2018 00:29

Hi. I'm having a tattoo on my foot and ankle next week and after reading the thread about where is most painful, decided this may be a good idea! Can I buy the cream from a pharmacy? What's it called? Does it work? Do tattooists mind you using it? Have one on my inner wrist and one on my back and both were fine but lots of people are saying top of foot is the worst! All advice welcome x thanks x

OP posts:
Onehellofaride · 13/07/2018 00:32

I have one on the top of my foot and one on my ankle and they were fine. Can’t offer any advice about creams but if you already have tattoos I wouldn’t worry too much about it. I appreciate everyone is different.

JuniperBeer · 13/07/2018 00:33

I bought emla cream. From a chemist. I’ve got one on each of the top of my feet. Works a treat. Didn’t feel a thing.
I would check before hand with the tattooist though. I’ve known some to refuse to do it.

Haworthia · 13/07/2018 00:33

Ask the tattooist first. I think it might cause complications and that’s why artists don’t use it routinely.

Also, a bit of skin numbing isn’t going to numb the vibrations of the needle against bone. That hurts like a bastard. I have a large tattoo on my back, and the vibrations were travelling through my entire ribcage and then to the bed I was lying on!

Lisaloolops · 13/07/2018 17:33

Thanks all, I will ask the tattooist first and then see if I can find some Emla cream. Having laser treatment to remove one i don't like too so will be useful anyway, laser guy doesn't mind x

OP posts:
FindoGask · 14/07/2018 23:06

Haworthia is right - check with the tattooist, as a lot of them don't like working with numbing cream. It does something to the skin which makes it harder to put the ink in right.

I recently had the top of one foot done without cream and it was fine - nippy, but fine. Much easier than I thought it would be.

Lisaloolops · 15/07/2018 12:28

Tattooist has said it's fine to use it but will need several tubes as I'm having a design that covers the whole of the top of my foot and ankle. A beautiful Indian mehendi henna style one. He has said the same as a pp that it will help a bit with skin pain but bones and tendons also sensitive in that area. Apparently Ametop is cheaper and just as good but not sure where to buy So that's my next step but not entirely sure I'm going to bother after all! It's only pain and I've had 2 kids, 3 tattoos, laser treatment and also have arthritis in the other ankle amongst other things so pain is like an old friend anyway! 😂

OP posts:
ReevaDiva · 15/07/2018 12:33

Emla wears off after about 30-40 minutes so if it's more than a small tattoo it's not going to last the distance.

Lisaloolops · 18/07/2018 23:04

Well unless it turns up in tomorrow's post I'm going without it!!! Wish me luck!!! Confused

OP posts:
Lisaloolops · 19/07/2018 23:12

Well the cream helped a bit, but it still hurt like fuck! I ❤️ it though. Thanks for the advice guys x Smile

OP posts:
runningtogetskinny · 20/07/2018 08:04

Love your tattoo!

Lisaloolops · 20/07/2018 15:37

Thank you 😁 I do too! Sore today though!

OP posts:
dustarr73 · 27/07/2018 21:12

Thats a very beautiful tattoo.I think i have tattoo envy

Lisaloolops · 27/07/2018 22:23

Thank you dustarr 😊, I have tattoo envy all the time! So many to choose from, not enough body parts! Well ones that won't age too badly anyhoo 😂😂😂

OP posts:
Lisaloolops · 27/07/2018 22:25

Dreaming of this next to go with it

OP posts:
dustarr73 · 27/07/2018 23:07

@Lisaloolop i think you should carry on up your leg.That would be fab.

Pippylou · 27/07/2018 23:09

They are lovely, both the one you have and the arm.

Wolfiefan · 27/07/2018 23:14

Wow. Just wow. They look amazing. Hope the foot feels better soon and the dream of the next one is realised.

TooManyPaws · 04/08/2018 19:24

That tattoo is GORGEOUS.

Lisaloolops · 04/08/2018 20:13

Thank you 😁. All healed now and looking good with flip flops 👍🏻

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.