Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Help! Last minute sun holiday - any recs for where to find dresses?

littlestowl · 06/08/2022 07:39

Hello everyone

Due to the holiday we’d planned ending up not happening because of illness, I’ve just booked a last minute beach/pool/hotel sun for the end of school holidays. Previous holiday was to a cold country and I’ve just realised I don’t have any hot weather holidays clothes really!

can anyone recommend anywhere - preferably online as I am a single parent with primary DC so going round the shops isn’t the easiest. I’ve been looking but most stuff seems out of stock as we are now into sales.

Mainly looking for dresses/skirts. Am curvy ( big boobs) hourglass size 10/12, quite short. Can’t wear shorts ( or anything above knee really) due to scarring. Ideally natural fibres if at all possible.

Doesn’t have to be anything fancy, although even though it’s just me and the kids I would like to look vaguely presentable/nice ( stylish is a step too far in ambition I suspect!). Any ideas very welcome!

OP's posts:
Please
or

KangarooKenny · 06/08/2022 07:42

Next is always my go to.
I was in Tesco yesterday and noticed their summer stuff is on sale, lots of dresses on the rack.

Please
or

FormerlySpeckledyHen · 06/08/2022 07:54

M & S ?

Please
or

Whoareyoumyfriend · 06/08/2022 07:55

Apricot?

Please
or

Signoramarella · 06/08/2022 07:56

Definitely Next. Just got 2 amazing dresses in the sale....

Please
or

MustBeDueSomeBetterFeet · 06/08/2022 07:57

Mountain Warehouse bizarrely have good sun dresses.

Please
or

Afterfire · 06/08/2022 07:57

If you’re careful and read the descriptions you can find quite a few jersey / cotton bargains in the asos and new look sales.

Please
or

holidayhonesty · 06/08/2022 07:58

Next - won't be the most exciting stuff in the world but they have a good petite range. Order multiple sizes of stuff though as their sizing is crazy!!

If trust yourself with it you could open a credit account with them and try before you buy.

Please
or

IggyAce · 06/08/2022 08:00

Uniqlo
Mountain warehouse
m&s
Next

Please
or

newtb · 06/08/2022 08:02

Mango?

Please
or

Lakeowlmoon · 06/08/2022 08:04

Sainsburys still have lots of their summer clothes in store.

Please
or

MilitantFaucet · 06/08/2022 08:06

H&M

Please
or

Ilikecheeseontoast · 06/08/2022 08:08

matalan had some lovely summer dresses in and not too expensive

Please
or

cheapskatemum · 06/08/2022 08:08

Could you take the kids round just a couple of charity shops each week until you go?

Please
or

Nitgel · 06/08/2022 08:11

www.next.co.uk/g6457s1/t36974#t36974 these Next dresses are useful

Please
or

Darkness22 · 06/08/2022 08:14

I was going to say Tesco. Sadly not online anymore, but they have had so many summer dresses in this year. I think they were about £16.

Please
or

EasterIssland · 06/08/2022 08:15

& other stories

Please
or

NancyDrawed · 06/08/2022 08:16

Apache (apacheshops.com)

It's not maternity wear, but the woman who models most things on there is currently pregnant! What I like about this site is that a real live woman models everything and does a short video. The clothes are one size fits all, she says what size the items will fit up to and some are more fitted than others. I've been happy with what I've had and have had no problems returning what didn't work for me.

You do have to pay postage on returns, but refunds come through quickly.

Have a lovely holiday!

Please
or

littlestowl · 06/08/2022 08:26

Thanks all - will take a look at next I think. And maybe try and find a Tesco’s and sainsburies - sounds like they might have more in store than online.

Had checked M and S as a starter but found them mainly sold out in my sizes ( also m and s is often a bit too broad for me unfortunately).

never heard of apache or thought of mountain warehouse so will also take a look there!

OP's posts:
Please
or

Ebonyhorse · 06/08/2022 08:28

Mango have a big sale

Please
or

Divebar2021 · 06/08/2022 08:30

Where do you normally shop? I’d suggest not panic buying a load of random dresses because they’re there. Have a think about the colours that work for you and try and think of a summer capsule. ( god sorry it sounds so wanky). I’ve just returned from holiday and was pretty pleased with how my clothes worked … and I normally hate dressing in the summer. Based on what I already had I chose black, white / neutral as my base colours and then pink as my fun colour.

There’s a Swedish brand called Lindex who have some nice dresses…. I keep looking at this black one but I don’t need another black dress.

www.lindex.com/uk/p/8384972-80-black-crinkled-cotton-dress?utm_source=google&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=surfaces-across-google&gclsrc=aw.ds&gbraid=0AAAAADrsaxGpORGhraIDZgOTRBajW1du4&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIiv6ZwNOx-QIVgeLmCh1EtwRiEAQYASABEgLmGfD_BwE

This white one

www.lindex.com/uk/p/8370408-70-white-shot-sleeve-midi-dress?utm_source=google&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=surfaces-across-google&gclsrc=aw.ds&gbraid=0AAAAADrsaxGpORGhraIDZgOTRBajW1du4&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIjNuN2dOx-QIVsIxoCR2mjgt5EAQYASABEgIhffD_BwE

i think this style of Kaftan dress is really easy to wear and could be a good beach dress. Searching kaftan dresses brings up other options elsewhere

www.lindex.com/uk/p/8384850-7424-blue-short-sleeve-kaftan-dress?utm_source=google&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=surfaces-across-google&gclsrc=aw.ds&gbraid=0AAAAADrsaxGpORGhraIDZgOTRBajW1du4&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI-82SmtSx-QIVlOd3Ch3TTwC0EAQYAyABEgIVtvD_BwE

This one from Gap

www.next.co.uk/style/ls309156/k12240#k12240

I never really get on with La Redoute but they seem to have options

www.laredoute.co.uk/ppdp/prod-350251486.aspx#shoppingtool=externalcampaign

Swimsuits I had from Next, Summersalt and Amazon. I used an oversized linen shirt for one of my cover ups.

Please
or

RollerPolarBear · 06/08/2022 08:36

Espirit?

Please
or

Candelabrassiere · 06/08/2022 08:40

Have a look at Nobody's Child

Please
or

uggmum · 06/08/2022 08:48

I bought this from M&S. it is so flattering.
You can pull the sleeves up a bit and pull the shoulders down to make it Bardot style.

Lovely lightweight fabric.

Help! Last minute sun holiday - any recs for where to find dresses?
Please
or

Oblomov22 · 06/08/2022 09:18

Watching. I've been to Tesco & Sainsburys this week - there was Nothing!

Please
or

littlestowl · 06/08/2022 09:31

Thanks all

@Divebar2021 - you make a very good point tbh!

i think also because it’s a while since I’ve been on this sort of holiday it’s almost a bit as if I’m struggling to imagine what I will wear!

And also as ever in my mind would love to be the tall, small boobed stylish figure I’ve always thought I should be. Who could wear pretty spaghetti straps etc 😁

OP's posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.