Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Shopping! New clothes new to London

alessandraV · 13/06/2020 23:07

I'll be arriving to London in September after years of living in a tropical place. Not younger and not "lighter", I am in my 50's. I guess I'll have to do quarantine, but afterwards I'll need to buy some clothes for work, like trousers and tea dresses. Could you advice some nice and not terribly expense places to buy literally everything? Thank you Grin

OP's posts:
Please
or

mrslebon · 13/06/2020 23:25

Probably John Lewis to be honest where you will be able to try a wide range of brands under one roof.

Please
or

alessandraV · 14/06/2020 00:57

Thank you Wink

OP's posts:
Please
or

newwnamme · 14/06/2020 01:07

Will you be able to try on anything?? I have been mulling over how uninspiring a return to shopping seems this evening. Queues, social distancing, one way systems, browsing discouraged, no trying on clothes. I was literally just reading about john Lewis - if you want to check two sizes or styles, you will need to pay for both and bring the wrong one back apparently. How is this going to work for fashion retailers who rely on people who shop because it is (was?) enjoyable?

Sorry to derail your thread op. If you dont mind paying upfront to try on your trousers and tea dresses, john Lewis is a good shout.

Please
or

alessandraV · 14/06/2020 04:42

I have been thinking that John Lewis would be difficult with so many people and shops in one place. Maybe I will have to go to smaller shops.🤷🏻‍♀️

OP's posts:
Please
or

WhatWouldDominicDo · 14/06/2020 05:46

I hate it, but why don't you shop online?
I'm about your age and in like Sea Salt, Joules, White Stuff, Toast

Please
or

alessandraV · 14/06/2020 13:16

Thank you! I'll have a look. :)

OP's posts:
Please
or

mrslebon · 15/06/2020 17:36

I personally wouldn’t look at Seasalt or Joules the workwear. Wellies maybe, but not workwear. Try Cos, Kin in John Lewis and Jigsaw.

Please
or

WhatWouldDominicDo · 15/06/2020 18:22

What's wrong with Sea Salt and Joules workwear?
Although it depends on how you define it.
I have just bought a lovely linen, short sleeved tunic dress from Sea Salt for work.

Please
or

Defiantly41 · 15/06/2020 18:28

John Lewis are doing personal styling by video call if you wanted to get some good ideas before ordering online

Please
or

alessandraV · 15/06/2020 19:37

Thank you for all the good ideas! I'll also have a look at John Lewis. I don't need to go extremely formal anyway. Smile

OP's posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.