My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

For beauty and fashion style advice, join in our Style forum chat.

Style & Beauty

Help - I don’t what to buy or what to wear anymore

10 replies

Honey1975 · 05/11/2018 10:55

I’m 43, 5’3 size 12 pear turning into apple shape. I am stuck in a rut, have put on weight around middle and have no clue what to wear anymore. I need help please.

I have quite a few clothes but don’t really like any of them. Work clothes are ok I need to sort out some new stuff for outside of work. Alot of my stuff is poor quality, old and tired looking. I don’t want loads of clothes just a few things that will make me look and feel nice. Oh and things that work well together rather than the random Primark tat I have gathering dust at the moment!

Yesterday I went shopping and wandered aimlessly around for 3 hours. I bought nothing as nothing seemed right. I don’t have lots of money to spend. The prices of things seem alot to me. I like oasis and warehouse but they want £40 for a top which doesn’t even feel fantastic quality.

These are the key things I would like:

Nice jacket to go with jeans - to wear shopping or on a night out. Not bulky or hot! Possibly leather or leather look.

Tops to wear daytime with high waisted skinny jeans. Nothing too clingy as conscious of my tummy rolls.

Jumper/cardigan - non frumpy. No wool or acrylic as they irritate me.

One nice outfit to wear on a night out. I don’t go out much but when I do I just want a ‘go to’ outfit I can pull out and wear.

Jacket/blazer - for various uses.

Nice leather tote bag - not too big, not black, sturdy but not too hard

I have brown hair & eyes and slightly olivey skin. Most of my clothes are black or grey which do nothing for me at all. I would love some colour. Also a nice coloured lipstick to make me look healthy and not like I’m still dressd for Halloween!

I really don’t have time to spend 3 hours shopping to come back with nothing so online suggestions would be great.

I realise this is alot to ask but any suggestions at all would be greatly appreciated. I’ve lost all confidence in my looks and need a boost.

OP posts:
sleepismysuperpower1 · 05/11/2018 11:21

leather waterfall jacket

a top that comes in loads of different patterns and colours

jumper

going out outfit dress - wear with tights and boots or heels.

coat

leather tote bag

lipstick

all the above are just ideas, because obviously we may not have the same taste, but i hope it helped a bit! x

Honey1975 · 05/11/2018 11:38

Thank you for those links, I really like the jumper in the ochre colour and it has good reviews. I don’t mind paying a bit more for something that’s good quality and won’t look awful after a couple of washes. The dress is lovely too, i’ll have a look at their other reductions as they CK have some ni e things. Thank you sleep

OP posts:
sleepismysuperpower1 · 05/11/2018 12:08

glad i could help x

VanCleefArpels · 05/11/2018 13:49

loads of over 40 bloggers and instagrammers to inspire you - some I like are ALifeToStyle, Midlifechic, MyFAshionable40's

Honey1975 · 05/11/2018 21:04

Thanks for the blog suggestions I will have a look at those.

OP posts:
madyogafan · 05/11/2018 22:23

I have the joules jumper in berry and love it. You need to size down though as they come up big!

peachypetite · 06/11/2018 09:50

Firstly get rid of all the stuff that makes you feel frumpy. Then you can see what you have and where the gaps are. I would recommend seeing the personal shopper at John Lewis.

Ginslinger · 06/11/2018 13:10

sleep you are amazing - I love what you've put together for the OP

sleepismysuperpower1 · 06/11/2018 16:58

thankyou! that means a lot x ginslinger

whosafraidofabigduckfart · 06/11/2018 19:20

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.