My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

For beauty and fashion style advice, join in our Style forum chat.

Style & Beauty

Ok so after the weekend dress drama ...which one shall I pick?

20 replies

christmosschops30 · 04/12/2006 10:35

Ok have a pink silk wrap dress, a bit short maybe but very nice

or

black dress with silk panels down plunging front and tied round back, very simple and classic

cant decide, dh hates pink one thinks its short and tarty which makes me think that if i wear it I will probebly feel uncomfortable in it now. Black one is very simple but could be worn again for lots of different occaisions as could be dressed up or down.

your opinions would be gratefully received, one of them has to go back cos at £60 each I cant afford them both

OP posts:
AlgernonGetYerTubaOut · 04/12/2006 10:40

From what you've said about feeling confortable I'd wear the black one. You won't enjoy the night if you are constantly pulling at your hem or conscious of the length of the pink one.

BTW - is the pink one the one you linked to in member profiles ? If it is I thought it was fine, but it was hard to get a feel for the length because you didn't include your legs in the photo !

AlgernonGetYerTubaOut · 04/12/2006 10:40

comfortable (I can spell)

christmosschops30 · 04/12/2006 11:24

yes it is the one in the photo, its about 3 inches off the knee.

I just think maybe that dress would be better suited to a 20 somthing year old rather than a 31 year old with 2 children.

I dont want to look like one of those women i used to laugh at who were a little bit more mature but still dress like their 20 with short skirts and cleavage revealing tops

OP posts:
JackieNoHoHo · 04/12/2006 11:26

From what you've said, you sound more comfortable with the black one, plus it sounds very sexy and flattering too - so I think you've answered your own question .

Lucy1977 · 04/12/2006 11:38

Mosschops - I'm not a great person to ask about fashion (I get alot of advice on here!) but one thing I do know is that life is for living and I've seen the picture of the pink dress and IMO it looks stunning on you and you have a great figure. The dress suits you and if you feel good in it WEAR it! Especially as it's Christmas, people can get away with wearing lots of clothes they wouldn't usually during the festive period.

Of course, if you don't feel comfortable then stick with the black, last thing you want it so be self conscious all night.

Lucy

Heathcliffscathy · 04/12/2006 11:44

black one. sounds stunning.

christmosschops30 · 04/12/2006 14:31

thank you Lucy

i can see me keeping them both because I cant decide they all have their own merits, the pink one is perfect for my xmas doo (boozy nurses in a posh hotel) and the black one is perfect for dh's doo (boring old farts and their wives)

but do I want to spend january weeping over my mastercard bill

ha ha lifes too short ...all the old dears on the ward tell me that, theyd tell me to wear the pink, probably with no knickers!!

OP posts:
anniemac · 04/12/2006 14:34

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn

Lucy1977 · 04/12/2006 16:46

Mosschops, you know your DH best - mine changes his mind though and can't visualise what the finished look will be. He said he really didn't like the dress I wore to his xmas party on Friday. After good advice on MN I kept it and got lovely accessories and make up - Friday night came and when I came out of the bathroom all done up he couldn't believe it and said I looked as beautiful as I did on our wedding day!

I can relate about credit card bills and what with the Christmas sales etc how awful is it when you buy something full price then see it 2 wks later half price!?

christmosschops30 · 04/12/2006 20:18

bump

come on, on the evidence presented I need a good return of either pink or black

so ....PINK OR BLACK

OP posts:
SherlockLGJ · 04/12/2006 20:21

Wear which ever one does not make you feel like you are being controlled.

christmosschops30 · 04/12/2006 20:53

pink then

OP posts:
SherlockLGJ · 04/12/2006 20:55

Thats my girl.

DeckthehallsLaDiDaDi · 04/12/2006 21:02

Pink, pink, pink!

It is lovely!

Lucy1977 · 04/12/2006 21:02

Definately PINK!

crunchie · 04/12/2006 21:03

Well I like the pink one, although I cannot quite tell the shade of pink. To me it looks likes youhave the figure to wear it.

However IKWYM about boring work do's iwth 40 somethings, but I'm afraid I think FUCK THEM

This year I willmostly be wearing leggings with 4" dorothey shoes and a v short glittery black low cowl neck dress. Now I dare anyone to call it tarty - and half of MN have seen it at the Xmas meet up and noone there said nowt (well theyw ouldn't would they!) but it is the tinest bit mutton, but who cares

chubbleigh · 04/12/2006 21:04

I don't know if this will work with your pink dress but could you put the pink dress with some smart trousers for a dress-over-trousers combo giving you another look and shutting your husband up. Also you can wear boots if you do this, I have tried this on occaison and it can look v.good if you get it right.

crunchie · 04/12/2006 21:04

It's only mutton as I am old enough to have worn leggings in the 80's. Perhaps when I hit 40 I'll dress my age, ut at 37 I am going to wear leggings and thigh length dresses thank you

SherlockLGJ · 04/12/2006 21:14

Chubb

That is compromise.

He was uncompromising in his directness to MC at the W/E.

chubbleigh · 04/12/2006 21:30

Well if it's compromise that is bothering anyone make him pay for the black one and keep the pink for other party, everyone happy. He was blunt in his opinion, he should turn out like 007 if he is going to go on like that.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.