My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

For beauty and fashion style advice, join in our Style forum chat.

Style and beauty

Latest idea for Dress for Black Tie party - expert views please!

26 replies

polyhymnia · 20/04/2012 12:11

I'm a tall hourglass Size 22, and am going to a black tie do next week - a 60th, in marquee in friends' garden. Have already asked here about wearing an existing dress - this, in bright blue:

www.boden.co.uk/en-GB/Womens-Dresses/Knee-Length-Dresses/WH319/Womens-Ruffle-Scoop-Neck-Dress.html?NavGroupID=4

and got some great ideas for styling it up.

Have now spotted this, just out:

www.annascholz.com/new-arrivals/georgette-tie-back-dress-22306.html?utm_source=newsletter_20120418&utm_campaign=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_content=content_image-poddle-drs

Not normally an Anna Scholz fan, mainly because she does so many bright splashy prints which aren't my thing. But ordered this and have tried it on. It fits well - the picture of it on the model gives the most accurate impression (though I don't look like her!).

Two questions, wise ones:

i) do you like - what about the poodle print? Know it's on trend (they also do a quirky bird print in navy in same style). But is it too 'twee'/ girly, specially as I'm not exactly in first flush of youth? To be fair, from a distance it looks like a general black and white pattern, with a nice touch of lilac, and party has a black and white theme. But close up the doggies are evident. I think they're fun - but are they age-appropriate?

ii) if you do think it's OK, how would you style? I'm thinking maybe silver shoes. Black would be OK, but a bit predictable? It would clearly need a necklace in the V which is pretty low - any ideas on what?

TIA.

OP posts:
BunnyLebowski · 20/04/2012 12:21

Hmm I love me a 40's style frock but the wee doggies are a deal-breaker for me.

More fitting on a babygrow than a dress and certainly not (imo) on one for a posh party.

Also there seems to be something a bit off about the fit of it on the blonde model? Looks a bit odd around the chest and waist.

Sorry Blush

tethersend · 20/04/2012 12:22

I'm sorry, I wasn't keen on the Boden one, but I hate that Anna Scholz one. It looks shapeless and cheap. I think it's the empire line- would try and stick to a waisted dress if you're an hourglass.

BunnyLebowski · 20/04/2012 12:23

Sweet baby JESUS and the orphans I've just seen the price Shock Shock

For 100% polyester?!

You can definitely do better for that budget OP. Will have a mooch.

tethersend · 20/04/2012 12:27

Blimey, missed the price Shock

LittlePandaBear · 20/04/2012 12:32

Another sorry from me - I wasn't going to comment but since that dress is £229 I don't want you to waste your money!

I think the dress could be okay for a general dinner out, but it's not very black tie to me. I think of sophisticated and posh dresses for a black tie do and that dress is more quirky - I think you'd stand out.

I also agree that it doesn't look flattering on the model!

I prefer the look and style of this, it could be jazzed up with a nice shrug/jacket and accessories:
www.annascholz.com/online-store-1/dresses/georgette-tailoring-corset-dress.html

LittlePandaBear · 20/04/2012 12:32
tethersend · 20/04/2012 12:42
polyhymnia · 20/04/2012 13:47

Wel, certainly got a reaction there. Expect my DH will agree with you when he sees!

Like I said, there's usually something a bit 'off' about Anna Scholz and her attempts to be quirky and suppose should have trusted my original instinct to avoid her entirely. Take the point on the print. On the fit, know exactly what you mean about pic, but actually does fit OK on me. Can wear empire line, as long as it doesn't flare out from under the bust like a tent. But like dresses with a waist too.

Thanks for suggestions. Sorry, nothing has grabbed me so far. I need a 22, and I don't do sleeveless - or pink. Also know that something pale and shiny like the M and S one would be unflattering on me. Though don't feel I have to hide away in black either!

Wouldn't usually pay that but have paid Marina Rinaldi prices many times and not regretted it. (Alas, MR don't have anything that suits me at moment.) If I do pay that sort of price, the piece has to be 100% right though.

Please do keep ideas coming - I'm really grateful.

OP posts:
BunnyLebowski · 20/04/2012 14:19

Have you looked here? poly?

Some beauties on there imo Smile

polyhymnia · 20/04/2012 14:28

Have had a look at Curvety but not sure which would suit me. Which do you think look particularly good?

OP posts:
Ambrosius · 20/04/2012 18:31

Betsy Aubergine and Gracie chiffon in the 'party dresses' bit are gorgeous.

UnnamedFemaleProtagonist · 20/04/2012 18:35

at £229. It looks like it's from the catalogue.

tethersend · 20/04/2012 18:53

The Betsy Aubergine would be one I recommended on your last thread

Grin

I still like this and there's 20% off today...

polyhymnia · 20/04/2012 20:49

Thanks again . Sorry to be a pain but aubergine really doesn't suit my colouring however much it's recommended. But will explore Gracie and anything else you or others suggest.

Btw my DH agreed with all of you and hated the Anna Scholz. Ideally should have learnt not to bother with her stuff by now.

Please do keep ideas coming.

OP posts:
polyhymnia · 20/04/2012 21:10

I meant 'I really' not 'ideally'.
Anyway had a look at Gracie and it was the one I'd been most taken with initially when I looked at the Curvety site. then I looked again and wondered if the beading didn't remind me of things my MIL wore that came from Lytham St Annes in the late 80s !! Will continue to brood and show my DH -he has quite good taste.
Please keep suggestions coming. I think I have my everyday dressing reasonably sorted despite my size and usually enjoy clothes shopping - have even found a nice summer tea dress and accessories for another party - but am really floundering on this one! Hence the desperation.

OP posts:
tethersend · 20/04/2012 21:33

This would be lovely with gold earrings and snakeskin heels.

tethersend · 20/04/2012 21:36
tethersend · 20/04/2012 21:38
polyhymnia · 20/04/2012 22:15

Thanks. Of those like the leopard but it's only available in 18/20 sadly. Don't want all black and don't like the orange tones in the second dress . Will certainly check out that Navabi site again though. Thanks.

On the Evans Clements Ribeiro dress like the style but really can't wear red.

OP posts:
tethersend · 20/04/2012 22:26
polyhymnia · 20/04/2012 22:44

Hmm by my favourite Anna Scholz ! Aside from that, that high neck doesn't appeal. Looks matronly on my big bust. V neck or sweetheart much better on me.
Sorry to be so difficult. As I said and despite my aberration with the poodle print am fussy and don't want to compromise.

OP posts:
tethersend · 20/04/2012 22:51

For that price I wouldn't compromise either. You have to love it. Will keep looking.

Newsletters you might like

Discover Exclusive Savings!

Sign up to our Money Saver newsletter now and receive exclusive deals and hot tips on where to find the biggest online bargains, tailored just for Mumsnetters.

You've subscribed!

Parent-Approved Gems Await!

Subscribe to our weekly Swears By newsletter and receive handpicked recommendations for parents, by parents, every Sunday.

You've subscribed!

tethersend · 20/04/2012 23:03
Geordieminx · 21/04/2012 08:13

[[http://www.monsoon.co.uk/cadogan-lace-dress/invt/15326461/ monsoon]

Geordieminx · 21/04/2012 08:14
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.