My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

For beauty and fashion style advice, join in our Style forum chat.

Style & Beauty

Red dress - what do I wear it with?

14 replies

pinktransit · 10/03/2012 18:30

I have just bought a gorgeous red dress from dorothy perkins - I can't find the right on on their website, but it's similar to this one.
www.dorothyperkins.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?beginIndex=0&viewAllFlag=&catalogId=33053&storeId=12552&productId=4564445&langId=-1&sort_field=Relevance&categoryId=228107&parent_categoryId=226988&pageSize=20&refinements=Colour{1}~[red]&noOfRefinements=1
but it has elbow length sleeves.

What do I wear it with? I don't normally wear bright colours, so am tempted to tone it down with black tights, boots and a cardigan, but I'm not sure that's going to look good.
I don't have nude shoes, which could look okay with skin tone tights - in fact, I only own one pair of shoes which are very high black suede. I usually live in jeans and boots, but have lost enough weight to be a size 12 and want a bit of a new look.

any suggestions??

OP posts:
The5thFishy · 11/03/2012 00:10

I like red
and turquoise
And brown
And purple
And pink
And navy blue.

Never with green (Christmas) or yellow (McDonald's)

otchayaniye · 11/03/2012 01:03

Pink

SephoraRosebud · 11/03/2012 11:44

black or navy blue

supernannyisace · 11/03/2012 12:07

I would probably go for black with red - shoes, tights and cardi - but it's a bit tame isn't it?

Navy blue as suggsted by sephora could be a good contrast - and a bit more modern. Blue shoes, and a shrug/cardi - although with elbowlength sleeves you may not need one. Nude tights though I reckon.

Lovely frock. I may go and have a poke around in DP myself! good price too! I hope you found the 20% off voucher that has been bandied around on voucher codes thingy..?

katfashion · 11/03/2012 19:07

I've worked as a fashion designer for past 15 years, working for brands like Mulberry, Coast and Jigsaw amongst others.
I also work as a personal stylist and love helping women out when it comes to fashion/ styling queries.
I think what you wear with the dress depends a lot on where and when you plan on wearing it.
Here are a few ideas but obviously it's tricky working blind!!!!

Mixing bold colours is a really big trend this S/S so I would definitely consider mixing the dress with coloured accessories (bag, shoes). Colours could be Pink/fuscia (I know, sounds clashy but thats the idea!), purple of blue tones.
A black tux jacket or hip length leather jacket would look great, add some black shoes boots and you have a slighty edgier look.
Alternatively if your looking for something a little subtler how about mixing the dress with nude/ camel shades which always look great with red & look more summery. A camel bag, knit and camel wedges would look nice.
I've (hopefully!) managed to add some links below to show what I'm talking about!
I hope this has helped and not confused you!

www.asos.com/ASOS/ASOS-PROP-Suede-Pointed-Platform-Court-Shoes/Prod/pgeproduct.aspx?iid=1868751&cid=4172&sh=0&pge=7&pgesize=20&sort=-1&clr=Nude
www.asos.com/ASOS/ASOS-TWEEDY-Chelsea-Detail-Shoe-Boot/Prod/pgeproduct.aspx?iid=1702684&cid=4172&sh=0&pge=34&pgesize=20&sort=-1&clr=Black

www.frenchconnection.com/product/Woman+Collections+Coats+And+Jackets/75BJ7/Sky+Leather+Jacket.htm

www.frenchconnection.com/product/Woman+Collections+Coats+And+Jackets/75BO6/Solo+Crepe+Jacket.htm

MrsCampbellBlack · 11/03/2012 19:19

Leopard print shoes

ifancyashandy · 11/03/2012 19:25

Hot pink. Camel.

Please don't wear a cardi with this dress - you will kill it!

MrsCampbellBlack · 11/03/2012 19:26

Oh yes no cardigan - I'm not a fan of black with red personally.

The5thFishy · 11/03/2012 19:41

Don't worry about freezing your arse off as long as you don't spoil the look of the dress Hmm
A cardigan will still look very chic. Shivering is never a good look.

ifancyashandy · 11/03/2012 19:45

Think her arse will be covered by the dress to be fair!

(and why would anyone want to spoil the look for the dress?)

The5thFishy · 11/03/2012 19:56

If wearing a cardigan with a shift dress is good enough for Jackie Kennedy, Michelle Obama and Mad Men, its good enough for me.

ifancyashandy · 11/03/2012 20:09

I don't think it's a shift dress, it's waisted. And it has intricate shoulders designed to be showed off.

But seeing as you're not the OP, all a bit of a moot point really!

MrsCampbellBlack · 11/03/2012 20:10

I take your point fishy but often a cardigan on a dress like that looks as though you're feeling unsure of it and trying to cover it up.

I'd personally go for a thermal vest rather than a cardigan

EnjoyResponsibly · 11/03/2012 20:20

Dress up with high black heels suede or patent, I'd even throw in seamed stockings to vamp it. Wear with a wrap or

www.coast-stores.com/AMY-JACKET/Jackets-&-Coats/coast/fcp-product/2111162980

Day wear with nude fishnets, nude shoes

Dress down a bit with black opaques and www.next.co.uk/g373276s3

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.