My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

For beauty and fashion style advice, join in our Style forum chat.

Style & Beauty

opinions on this skirt please!

11 replies

MooMinCow · 05/03/2012 11:05

I don't own any skirts, but fancied one to wear out now and then. According to Dressipi I should be going for pencil skirts as am 'balanced hour glass' shape. How do I stop them looking too office-y? I've seen this ASOS one (like the detail on the front) - what do we think? Would it suit a 5'4" 12/14 shape?

OP posts:
mirpuppet · 05/03/2012 12:11

I think it may look officey -- more due to what shoes you wear with it. Hopefully someone else will come on and help.

I don't get on with pencil shirts -- I'm more A line but I'm pear shaped.

MooMinCow · 05/03/2012 12:26

well I always thought I was pear shaped, but my shoulders are obviously broader than I thought as the measurements on the website showed.

I'm thinking maybe ankle/shoe boots and leather biker style jacket might make it more going out than going to work!

OP posts:
dingdong3 · 05/03/2012 13:51

I have a friend who wears them all the time with brogues. It doesn't suit me. The only pencil skirt I own, I wear to funerals so I am not much use to you really Grin

MooMinCow · 05/03/2012 16:31

er thanks dingdong Grin. don't own a pair of brogues and tbh not really my thing. might just take the plunge and order it anyway!

OP posts:
MadAboutHotChoc · 05/03/2012 17:16

I think short denium/cord skirts or pretty A line skirts are probably best for casual wear - that skirt looks like a work one and needs to be dressed with blouses/shirts.

MooMinCow · 05/03/2012 17:46

Thanks MadAbout, but am not so keen on those. I want a skirt that can be suits my shape, maybe a bit funky to wear either out in the evening with tops/sheer blouse or maybe in the day with knitwear... Maybe I should stick to my uniform of skinnies, heels, top (yawn)

OP posts:
MooMinCow · 05/03/2012 17:49
OP posts:
RemusLupinsBiggestGroupie · 05/03/2012 18:22

No to pencil skirt and brogues unless you are 6 feet tall and v slim - otherwise you could easily sway into v v frumpy or to looking like a Police woman.

How about a fitted jersey midi pencil skirt? Topshop have some. I've got it in the maxi version and it's really flattering (makes my bum look good!) so I'm planning on trying it in the midi version too. It's v cheap (about 20 pounds). Would need heels or heeled ankle boots or shoeboots to lift it into the 'going out' zone.

I'm size 12 and 5' 2 btw. The maxi one is v long but it pulls up and is just so easy to wear and curve-making, so I'm hoping the midi one will be just as good.

MooMinCow · 05/03/2012 18:38

Is it this one Remus? Can imagine Nigella wearing it with tshirt, plimsolls and denim jacket.

Maybe stretchy jersey below the knee is what I should be looking for?

OP posts:
RemusLupinsBiggestGroupie · 05/03/2012 19:13

That's the maxi one. they don't seem to have the midi one any longer - how annoying! It would have been perfect for you, I think.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.