My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Whether you're into football, athletics, tennis, golf or cricket, join the dicsussion on our Sport forum.

Sports

Where would be a good spot to watch the Tour de France from?

5 replies

VivaLeBeaver · 24/06/2014 18:58

Apart from my sofa!

Am closest to Sheffield but would prefer to watch it out in be country not in the city.

But the route will obviously be shut. So where can I drive to that's close by and then walk somewhere to see it? Any ideas from locals?

I can't face the crowds at Holme Moss, etc.

OP posts:
angelinterceptor · 27/06/2014 13:14

I'm coming over from Northern Ireland next weekend too and have the same question.

Can only do Saturday as have something to get back to on Sunday

Panwearsjaune · 27/06/2014 20:36

Viva Hi you.

If you stay with this thread you'll see a few pointers. You're up here in the Peaks anyway aren't you next week? Holme Moss will be stuffed but the turn at the bottom and the next rise especially won't be so. But still busy. The minimum walk or ride is 1 mile. Car parking anywhere near Glossop (which is the nearest centre to the route here) will be problematic unless you arrive especially early. Advice from this local for everyone coming from outside is to get the train to Glossop and take the TdeF bus up to Crowden and then walk to the bend where they come down off Holme Moss. 1 mile.

Panwearsjaune · 29/06/2014 10:03

Here is a local link for Tour watchers wanting to access the route near Hole Moss descent side

I'd been told there is a tour bus from Glossop centre - this isn't strictly true. It goes from a place outside of the centre. So..IF I were coming into the area, it would be 'train to Glossop, short train trip ( 10 mins) to Hadfield and pick up the tour bus from there up to Crowden.

OR you can ride the 7 miles from Hadfield station along a Trail, or an empty road, to v near where the peloton come off HM at Woodhead Reservoir.

VivaLeBeaver · 29/06/2014 14:21

Thanks pan. Think we're going to try for near the Holme moss descent on Saturday and then have rented a driveway on the route for the day on Sunday a few miles out of sheffield.

OP posts:
VivaLeBeaver · 29/06/2014 14:23

Sorry meant Sunday morning/early afternoon. Am trying to work out timings if possible to see them twice. Might just stick with the driveway.

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.