Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on special needs.

DS7 starting Medkinet for ADHD...any advice?

JolieJ · 28/04/2022 12:32

DS7 was diagnosed with combined ADHD about 6 months ago. Hes also awaiting ASD assessment. He's always been very hyperactive but as he's gotten older his lack of attention and concentration has become more obvious, and now it seems to be his biggest hinderance in the classroom.

His teacher and senco and I agree that starting medication might be beneficial and so his doctor prescribed them, hoping to start next week.

What can I expect? It's 5mg Medkinet. He's always been a good sleeper so I'm worried it may affect that? Any advice would be much appreciated.

OP's posts:
Please
or

jojomo4 · 05/05/2022 14:49

Hi,
Our son has ADHD and it has been suggested we try medication. Come to mumsnet for feedback from other parents. How did your son find it?
Thank you!

Please
or

BigCCC · 05/05/2022 19:51

Hello. My son is 9 and started seven months ago. His sleep has been fine and he has maintained a reasonable appetite, taking 20 mg. The effect on his schoolwork has been transformational, and his confidence is growing. The only downside is that the contrast with the days off meds is quite strong and they can be tricky.

Please
or

BigCCC · 05/05/2022 19:54

Posted too soon - he can now focus for extended periods and is showing demonstrable improvements in all areas of school work and much better enjoyment and interest in it, now that he can focus.

Please
or

jojomo4 · 06/05/2022 08:12

That's really helpful to know. Thank you!

Please
or

JolieJ · 09/05/2022 11:24

@BigCCC that is realy good to hear!

@jojomo4 we started him on it today, he's at school now and I'm sitting around wondering how he's getting on.

We didn't mention to his teacher he started it today, although she knows we were considering it. Will be interesting to see how he gets on.

I'll update you :)

OP's posts:
Please
or

jojomo4 · 09/05/2022 12:38

Good luck! Let us know. I hope your son feels positive benefits x

Please
or

jojomo4 · 29/06/2022 21:36

Hello @JolieJ and @BigCCC

Just wondering how your sons are getting on with the meds? Hopefully all good news!!

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.