Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on special needs.

Carers allowance/ tax credits is it pointless?

3babies22 · 21/02/2022 10:45

Hi ive just been awarded carers allowance for my DD. But after looking online im not sure its even worth it once i tell tax credits am i going to end up worse off for this? If anyone has claimed CA on TC do you mind advising how badly they were effected? Do TC reduce by the full CA amount?

OP's posts:
Please
or

danni0509 · 21/02/2022 22:34

It is treated as taxable income for TC so needs to be declared in full at every annual review. It does obviously reduce your tax credits yes. By how much obviously depends on your circumstances and whatever else anyone in the household earns.

If you’re on universal credit it is taken from your monthly award £ for £. (You do receive an additional carers premium on UC for about £163 so cancels a bit of the £ for £ loss out.)

Please
or

Imitatingdory · 22/02/2022 17:40

You won’t be worse off. Even with UC where it is taken £ for £ you won’t end up worse off. And there are other benefits of claiming CA e.g. NI contributions.

Please
or

Pandabuggle · 26/04/2022 11:36

@3babies22 were you able to put an exact date for when you started caring for DD? I ask as my son gets DLA and I'm not sure whether it's from when he first started getting that or if literal date of his birth or when his add etc was diagnosed?

Please
or

Imitatingdory · 26/04/2022 13:18

Pandabuggle It wants the date of the DLA award as you aren’t eligible for carer’s allowance without that (or PIP/AA for adults). It is asking so they can work out if your award can be backdated and if so how far - it can be backdated 3 months, or to the start of the DLA claim if you have been notified of the DLA decision within the last 3 months.

Please
or

SBParker99 · 09/05/2022 16:56

@3babies22 how long did it take from applying? sorry to ask just wondering how long it will take

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.