My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

This forum is for Mumsnetters to discuss undiagnosed illness.

SN undiagnosed genetic conditions

Autism concerns

3 replies

Lynzy · 17/02/2018 16:44

Hi. Please can I ask for some support and advice. I'm concerned my ds is showing early signs of autism and I have no idea where to turn. He is only 14 weeks but he avoids eye contact unless you get very close to him, he started and smiles at book shelfs/curtain poles etc and would choose these over faces. He does not respond to our voices and is a very placid boy. He has no interest in toys and does not reach out for anything. Pls advise. Thanks

OP posts:
BackforGood · 17/02/2018 20:52

Paediatricians wouldn't start looking at assessing for autism before a child is at least two.
The details of babies developmental stages are a bit hazy for me now, but this will bump you off the 'unanswered threads' and hopefully someone with a more recent bby than me will be a long to reassure you Smile

Teaandbiscuits35 · 01/08/2018 18:01

Please try not to worry, it’s way too premature. Autism is rarely diagnosed before 3 because so much can change until then. Mention any concerns to HV but you really don’t need to stress about autism while he’s so small.

HerRoyalFattyness · 01/08/2018 18:06

Does he startle with loud noises?
At that age I'd be more concerned about hearing problems than autism. (Im not saying that to scare you, just as that would be my first thought rather than autism, and im autistic!)
If youre concerned, speak to ypur HV, but they wont diagnose, or even refer into the system for an autism diagnosis for a cpupme of years yet.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.