Mumsnet Logo
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. You may wish to speak to a medical professional before starting any diet.

Slimming World

Anyone manage to do SW alone at home, without being in group?

8 replies

itsacloudyday · 28/01/2022 10:12

My local SW group has just closed (numbers dwindled so much it was no longer viable to keep going). It was right on my doorstep.
Nearest other group that fits with my availability is miles aways and would involve 2 bus journeys!. I don't know people locally, it's a semi rural area and there are literally no other "nearby" SW groups.
I'm thinking of just trying to keep on plan myself at home.
Any success stories here to inspire me? People who stopped attended groups but still managed to lose weight?
I'm lost a stone so far, about about 3 more to go.

OP posts:
Please
or

TalkToTheHand123 · 04/02/2022 17:06

I'm determined to go it alone as just think paying £5 per week is a bit much. You can get free support online or from friends.

My weight is pretty much stuck at between 15 and a half stone to 16 stone. I plan to be in bed more as sleep seems to help me lose weight the most.

Just try plan in advance for food (recipes, shopping, eating out) and rest (early nights, lie ins, naps) and exercise if you have any energy!

Please
or

lechatnoir · 09/02/2022 14:50

Yes I'm going it alone too - progress is slow but steady and 1 month on I'm found it ok. The only thing I really miss is the barcode scanner / syn finder but 90% of things I've found on Google and trying to avoid too much processed stuff anyway so no too bad. I've created my own tracker and write on it religiously and that definitely keeps me on pla plus weekly weigh in and posting on here helps.

Please
or

Blondeshavemorefun · 09/02/2022 20:34

I’m doing it at home alone / tho pay some mainly for the online scanner

Lost almost a stone since new year

Please
or

Starfish25 · 17/05/2022 21:02

Hi,
I do it from home, this is my 2nd time around due to having my 2nd son. My 1st time i got to target lost just over 6 and half stone, took me 4 years to lose it and i kept it off for just over a year till lockdown happened then of course the baby 😂 been back on plan for nearly 7 months and have lost just over 3 and half stone. It can be done from home with the likes of groups including this and Facebook have helped me xx

Please
or

Tryhard40 · 17/05/2022 21:20

Me! I found the groups really deathly boring but know it works quite well for me so I just stopped going to group but carried on with the general ethos at home. I basically just eat lots of veg, fruit, protein and snack on fat free yoghurts - I don't really eat bread (don't like wholemeal which seems to be the only bread you're "allowed" on SW) and don't eat many carbs in general and I also don't count syns as such but do keep snacky things to a minimum and subconsciously I can't help calorie counting - it's ingrained in me!

All my main meals I cook the SW way - use fry light, lean meat, always a third speed veg etc. If I can't be bothered cooking something from scratch I just have something like salmon fillet with salad and a few boiled potatoes.

I still eat out every week too but just try to make healthy choices, so steak and a salad or if I have a curry I won't have much rice or naan bread and choose a "dry" curry.

I find the monthly SW magazines quite good for motivation - I like seeing the before and after stories and cut out recipes I like the look of. I also follow a few people on Instagram who do SW and post photos of their meals etc.

Ive lost 22lbs since mid-January. Another 7lbs to go!

Please
or

ThePoorWeeDonkey · 22/05/2022 04:40

I've joined online but have been to groups before. Hoping to lose weight for my holiday in August. Although I have about 5st in total I want rid of.

Please
or

Changednameagain123 · 25/05/2022 06:37

I personally think the benefit of slimming world is being weighed in public. I’d sign up and get the recipes then cancel!

I do a weekly weigh in with my parents on face time… they don’t shame me but at least it’s another pair of eyes supporting me….

Please
or

Macaroni1924 · 28/05/2022 20:47

I tried jointing in March online, I’ve done it before I took unwell, but I had zero luck without the classes. I’ve now returned to class.
If class is definitely not an option one way I managed to lose at home a few years ago was by going to my mum and dads house and getting my dad to weigh me. He doesn’t have a weight issue unlike my mum , so I wanted to impress him more I suppose! I paid him a fiver and he saved it up for me, once I changed dress size I took the money and bought some new jeans and a top.
I definitely think you need to be weighed by someone else to motivate!

Please
or