My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

MNHQ have commented on this thread

Site stuff

trolls, attention seekers and other wierdos.

257 replies

whatwouldjesusdo · 11/01/2007 09:45

I thought it might be useful to have a reference thread on this subject. It isn't aimed at any particular person or thread, and would be good to keep it as a general reference for people who are new to the site, ie not discuss particular threads here.

TROLLS are typically new posters, previously unseen on mn,
They may have weird sexual problems, which they try to suck people into discussing. In MN folklore, they are hairy arsed truckdrivers or schoolboys, and they may invite posts like "trippety trap" or "go and do your homework"
Alternatively, they may post something inflamatory, eg insulting another poster, to start a fight.

ATTENTION SEEKERS may run a mumsnet persona over several months, and may be mothers, so look much more genuine. However, there are genuine mothers who also suffer from attention seeking disorders.
Look out for some or all of the following:

• an unusual story
  • a poster whose only help comes apparently from mumsnet
  • a poster who has apparently convincing reasons for not seeking help from the authorities
  • a poster who makes people feel sorry for them all the time, and thanks them for their sympathy with pathetic gratitude
  • an extreme story, such as suicide or the poster saying that they are about to abandon their children
  • generally, a poster who appears to live in the middle of a dramatic situation, and who posts at key dramatic moments.

CON ARTISTS will run a convincing story, and, having got your sympathy, will try and get you to do things for them. Eg, they put themselves apparently into situations where you can help them, and then wait for you to offer your help. They are hard to spot online, and you have to make up your own mind about what sort of risk you are prepared to take about corresponding with other posters.

This is emphatically not intended as a discussion of whether we are gullible or not, but if anyone's sympathies are particularly aroused by any thread, please do come back here now or in the future and have another read.
and of course, please add your own recommendations on spotting threads that dont add up.
OP posts:
100PerCentCod · 12/01/2007 09:25

ta buffy but dont bee nice to me cos then i get loads of hassle form pepoele.

BuffysMum · 12/01/2007 09:26

She is mad! I suspect schizophrenia (spelling?) as my ex-MIL was likely to do something like that....

100PerCentCod · 12/01/2007 09:26

so is her dh in a manga club?

whatwouldjesusdo · 12/01/2007 09:26

lol cod
perfectly summed up

OP posts:
lulumama · 12/01/2007 09:27

re dottymum.

i was one of the first to post on her thread

her story seemed so awful and heartbreaking, the thought of her leaving her children

i emailed mnhq 3 times to see if there was something they could do to trace her as i was so worried she was going to leave her kids and do something to harm herself

so i guess i've been had too

but i would not have forgiven myself if the story had played out how i feared

i hope dotty gets whatever type of help she needs and no-one who helped has anything to be embarrassed about IMO.

100PerCentCod · 12/01/2007 09:27

I htink i want to be like that pinata in that advert

( knwoing wink)

god you are all barkingly nice.

im mumnet e i woudl nte blive a word most folk say on here

whatwouldjesusdo · 12/01/2007 09:27

oh no - I didnt see that
no cod no - deff not dottydot!

OP posts:
KezzaG · 12/01/2007 09:27

I never got the Cod thing before, but you have made me laugh on this thread when I was clenching my teeth with anger earlier. You are one random fish!

lulumama · 12/01/2007 09:27

the intitial thread in 'feeling depressed' , i should say

justJAM · 12/01/2007 09:28

Have to say like lissie, I was relatively new to mn and followed the dotty situation and it played on my mind...I remember thinking how wonderful that MN's were helping her in RL...It saddens me today to find out that she was not genuine, and all of the effort you ladies put in, both emotional and physical, was in vain. As has already been said, she obviously does has mental health problems, but all the same you must all feel extremely betrayed.

whatwouldjesusdo · 12/01/2007 09:28

yeah, but you're not gullible, are you cod????

OP posts:
BuffysMum · 12/01/2007 09:28

wasn't be nice! Just saying that I'd missed you I usually keep my distance as I'm a bit sensitive at times!

100PerCentCod · 12/01/2007 09:29

no i am a magical pinata

whatwouldjesusdo · 12/01/2007 09:31

justjam - a bit embarrassed at believing the more exotic lies for more than 2 seconds, thats all

OP posts:
SSShakeTheChi · 12/01/2007 09:31

Don't think I'm a troll or an attention seeker so much but definitely one of the weirdos.

100PerCentCod · 12/01/2007 09:32

ah jesus you dont rememerb the judgel flounce hoo ha

now if you had lived through that you woudl not be so kind

BuffysMum · 12/01/2007 09:33

On the positive side I've learnt lots of useful information on embassies, foreign office, passports, visas, prosecuting fraudulent people etc etc etc etc etc

100PerCentCod · 12/01/2007 09:34

lol at buffy

BuffysMum · 12/01/2007 09:34

BTW love the pinata clip

whatwouldjesusdo · 12/01/2007 09:35

I was having a mn break, and missed the whole judgeflounce thing

OP posts:
100PerCentCod · 12/01/2007 09:36

i love that "So longsuckers" not ont hat clip sadly

whatwouldjesusdo · 12/01/2007 09:36

funnily enough, buffy, Ive also researched all the same subjects you have!

OP posts:
justJAM · 12/01/2007 09:37

WWJD - I don't know many people who wouldn't of believed her, but that just reinforces how ill she was that she was so convincing, obviously not the first time she has done it...and personally, I would rather believe a liar 10 times over than ignore someone in real pain.

Dinosaur · 12/01/2007 09:38

I haven't got time to read this properly, but did someone say that the foxy threads weren't for real?

whatwouldjesusdo · 12/01/2007 09:38

yes, agree. she is v intelligent and convincing. I wont post in on mn, but we now know a lot about her in rl.

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.