Please or to access all these features

Secondary education

Connect with other parents whose children are starting secondary school on this forum.

Moving from an independent school to a state Sixth Form: how did you manage the notice-period gap?

11 replies

samsub · Yesterday 10:08

My son is currently in Year 11 at an independent school with the support of a means-tested bursary. Even with this financial support, we are considering moving him to a state sixth form for A levels because we are not certain that continuing privately will remain financially sustainable. There are several good sixth-form options in the area where we live.

The difficulty is the timing. Under the independent school’s terms, we need to give a full term’s notice if he will not return after GCSEs. In practice, this means deciding before the Summer Term starts. However, any state sixth-form place would remain dependent on his GCSE results and may not be finally confirmed until results day in August.

If we give notice early, we could lose his existing sixth-form place before knowing whether his preferred state-school place is secure. If we retain the independent-school place as a backup and withdraw after results day, we could become liable for a full term’s fees in lieu of notice. The school’s terms also appear to say that this may be based on the full fees rather than our bursary-adjusted contribution.

This leaves us in a difficult position. We may have to choose between giving up a secure place before the alternative is confirmed and retaining it as a safety net but potentially facing a significant financial liability.
I imagine this timing issue must arise quite often when pupils move from independent schools to state sixth forms after GCSEs.

Has anyone navigated this successfully? Did your independent school accept conditional notice, offer flexibility over the deadline, or exercise discretion regarding the payment in lieu of notice? Alternatively, did the state sixth form provide enough certainty before GCSE results day for you to make the decision?
I would be grateful to hear from anyone who has faced a similar timing problem. How did you manage the educational and financial risks, and how did you approach the matter with the independent school?

OP posts:
ACynicalDad · Yesterday 10:12

I would try an honest conversation, many private schools are in a difficult place, you hold more power than you think.

What is the difference between what you are likely to be offered a state place at and what he would not be able to carry on at the private school anyway? There may be a fairly small window so the risk of being caught short may be smaller than you think.

FruAashild · Yesterday 10:14

97% of children are in the state system and manage the transition to post 16 education. It's not difficult. Give the private school notice and have several 6th form options if the preferred one is strict about GCSE results. What are his predicted grades at the moment? There will be a place in the state system for him.

RandomMess · Yesterday 10:16

If you can’t afford the private 6th form your hands are tied. If your DC massively “fails” their GCSEs then the independent will likely not want them anyway and perhaps you will need to look at other post 16 qualifications.

Is the independent school that over subscribed they won’t have a space?

Thingsthatgo · Yesterday 10:18

Is there only one state sixth form that would work for you? If so, have you looked at their catchment/ policies for who is eligible for places? The state sixth form that we really want for DS is in a neighbouring town, and we have around a 50% chance that he will get in based on where we live. The other deciding factor is what A levels he wants to do, and whether there is any flexibility in his choices.
According to his current school the sixth does give priority to high achieving students, but officially they are non selective.
Will your DS likely get the grades?

Savvysix1984 · Yesterday 10:41

You’ll be in the position that the majority of 16 year olds are in. I’d hand in notice then if it doesn’t go your way with 6th forms apply for a place at the current school. Given today’s financial climate id say he will probably get a place back.

pinkdelight · Yesterday 12:29

Just include a safer option in your state school choices as well as the top ones. If your DS is bright, he'll do as well in an average 6th form as he would anywhere. My DS got all A*s from a ropey 6th form (all the contextuals) so sure yours will be okay with all those years of private ed already stored up. Either trust to your DS and take your chances with the system or pay the term's fee as your insurance. Chances are he'll get in one of the good 6th forms anyway.

Autumnallaround · Yesterday 12:36

We gave notice at Xmas for our son leaving private.

The head wrote us a lovely letter telling us to get in touch if anything changed.

Its a full school too.

PinkFrogss · Yesterday 12:42

Include a back up option in your state applications. If he doesn’t get good results would you want to keep paying for him to attend the same school for a levels?

Roomgigi · Yesterday 12:48

For state sixth form you can accept and hold more than one offer
On results day you enrol at your preferred state choice (grades dependent)

Talk to the private school and give notice in good time

TheCoolTiger · Yesterday 13:02

I wouldn’t worry - he’s likely to get into a sixth form without any trouble!

AdidasBadidas · Yesterday 22:01

Given the falling rolls the independent school are more likely than not to take him back if you were to approach them for a place post results day in the unlikely scenario that he does not get a good state option.
Also depends on his A level subjects. If humanities / MFL his chances at state are greater than if STEM.

New posts on this thread. Refresh page