My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Join our Property forum for renovation, DIY, and house selling advice.

Property/DIY

High gloss kitchens

11 replies

IlanaK · 04/05/2010 21:52

We are doing a kitchen extension and refit later this year and I am trying to pick what I would like.

I am leaning towards a white high gloss kitchen and was wondering if anyone has one and if there is anything I should know or think about.

I want black granite work surfaces, white high class units, and I was going to go for a coloured glass splash back (maybe red?)

OP posts:
cece · 04/05/2010 21:55

Look at my profile pictures. I have white high gloss with walnut worktops.

Get the flat doors as they are easier to wipe down. Plus they look better imo with the gloss finish. Easy to keep clean and I have no regrets about choosing them.

My friend has the black gloss units and it looks fab. However it requires dusting a lot. I wonder if the black worktops would be the same?

IlanaK · 04/05/2010 22:18

Your kitchen looks great. My dh wants wooden work surfaces, but I have vetoed him. We currently have black granite and I love it. I definitely planned to get the flat doors - I want easy to clean!

Where did you get yours?

OP posts:
SixtyFootDoll · 04/05/2010 22:24

I have cream high gloss units with bamboo work tops.
I love my kitchen and it is so easy to keep clean.

annh · 05/05/2010 12:32

My SIL has cream hi-gloss units installed before she was pregnant. Now she has a toddler she is finding it difficult to keep them smear-free. However, this is (she hopes!) a fairly lengthy, but passing, phase! She also has black hi-gloss sideboards which she regrets more as they are only dust-free for about 5 mins after she cleans them.

We are looking at kitchens at the moment, I'm not interested in hi-gloss anyway, but the kitchen designer told me that they are already becoming passe and in 5 years time they will be like pine or limed oak. I was a bit but so he says.

noddyholder · 05/05/2010 16:36

Oh no get matt Gloss is a fashion thing and everywhere!I am an interior designer and have never been asked for them tbh.I have been viewing a lot of properties though and all the kitchens are gloss and look the same.Flat matt white with wooden worktops is classic.

seb1 · 05/05/2010 16:40

Where do you get flat matt white units I fancy them but only can find gloss.

stressed2007 · 05/05/2010 16:47

noddyholder if that is your home on your profile page it looks lovely!

noddyholder · 05/05/2010 16:51

Ikea do a really good one it is indestructible and very white and looks great.that is/was my last house thanks!I sold it last month and am now in a flat for a few months looking for an old dump to renovate

noddyholder · 05/05/2010 16:52

It is called applad white i think

cece · 05/05/2010 19:52

I got mine from Benchmarx.

I don't find the smearing with a toddler a problem at all. In my last house I had shaker style matt ones and they were a nightmare to clean.

TBH all kitchens are a fashion and will date so imo you should get what you love.

nappyzoneloveslindor · 05/05/2010 19:55

My dh put the b and q IT range white high glass in a month or so ago with some walnut worktops which really are laminate but lots of people have remarked they thought they were real. I debated it for some time with a sticky mitted 3 yr old but it looks good. I would add a pic if i knew where the camer a was

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.