My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Join our Property forum for renovation, DIY, and house selling advice.

Property/DIY

Can I put an offer in on a house this week when my DH is away for the next month?

3 replies

FanjolinaJolie · 04/04/2010 20:49

We have been looking for a house for about six months and have not found much. Had an offer rejected about a month ago on a property we liked but lost out on.

DH left on Friday to go overseas (forces) for five weeks and is not really contactable by phone/email/post unless it's a proper emergency.

As luck would have it I've seen a property this weekend which would be suitable for us which I'll try and see ASAP.

If I were to put an offer in at which point would DH have to actually sign anything? It would be a joint mortgage and joint ownership of the property.

Could I start the conveyancing process by myself or does the mortgage application have to come first? I realise DH would have to sign the mortgage application, but just wondering which needs to come first.

Assuming conveyancing takes 12 weeks DH would be back for weeks six - 12 of the process, so in time for completion etc.

Any help most gratefully appreciated.

OP posts:
FanjolinaJolie · 04/04/2010 20:50

I should add there is nothing underhand going on here, DH would be delighted if I managed to find and buy a house for us!

OP posts:
AgentProvocateur · 04/04/2010 22:05

In Scotland, the missives aren't signed until about a week before the moving date, but I think you'd need to do the mortgage application sooner.

Could the mortgage company fax the documents to your DH for his signature?

I know it's too late now, but it might be an idea to set up a power of attorney so that you can sign things on his behalf when he's away.

Good luck with putting in an offer. I hope it all goes smoothly for you.

FanjolinaJolie · 05/04/2010 08:20

Thanks, we did try and get a Power of Attorney done in the last few days before he went away but couldn't get a straight answer from the solicitors firm about what was actually needed, and time ran away from us.

We are in SE England.

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.