My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Join our Property forum for renovation, DIY, and house selling advice.

Property/DIY

long kitchen thread -help needed...

7 replies

HerHonesty · 30/03/2010 13:08

ladies and gentlemen of the jury your kitchen consultation needed

l shaped kitchen-snug-diner type room. kitchen to be situated at far end of the L. two walls with units etc, island infront, walls with units on 3.6 by 3.5, fairly light part of the l,with french doors to dishwasher fridge etc integrated, black aga. Type - painted traditional kitchen type like this:

www.handmadekitchens-direct.co.uk/html/gallery.html

quandry one: its going to be our main living area so i dont want it to look like a fully fitted kitchen. So on wall facing into rest of L will be (floor levels) draw units, aga, corner unit, round corner to sink, integrated dishwaser, lardercupboard, fridge cupboard. in the middle there will be an island unit. The only wall units will be two large glazed units (about 1 metre wide each, right up to the ceiling) either side of the aga. Now I am having slight qualms as to whether or not something should go over the aga - units could look a bit cluttered, just a shelf, or nothing? DH thinks nothing would look strange (note you dont need/cant have extractor over aga). Any thoughts, pictures?

quandry two: for the life of me i cant figure out what colour to paint the kitchen units, or whether to paint the base units a different colour .... or ... arggh. racked by indecision. flooring will be slate, a bit like this:

www.firedearthshop.com/epages/FEShop.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/FEShop/Categories/Browse Catalogue/FloorTiles/Slate/Imperial_Slate&PageSize=200

and work top, white marble, like this carrera marble on this page

www.handmadekitchens-direct.co.uk/html/granite.html

and i sort of like these types of colours

www.thelittlegreene.com/paints-for-home/colour/mid-lead-colour-/

www.the littlegreene.com/paints-for-home/colour/Kitchen-Green/

but am worried it might look a bit dull

again, any thoughts....

OP posts:
kitsmummy · 30/03/2010 14:27

Links don't work but I copied and pasted and love the ideas. I would say nothing above the aga - don't they have some sort of flue thing coming out of them anyway, or is that just rayburns? The white marble worktop is lovely, and my friend has that with handbuilt units in F&B Savage ground and I also think mouses back would be nice.

HerHonesty · 30/03/2010 14:31

sorry tried to do the web links again..

ladies and gentlemen of the jury your kitchen consultation needed

l shaped kitchen-snug-diner type room. kitchen to be situated at far end of the L. two walls with units etc, island infront, walls with units on 3.6 by 3.5, fairly light part of the l,with french doors to dishwasher fridge etc integrated, black aga. Type - painted traditional kitchen type like this:

www.handmadekitchens-direct.co.uk/html/gallery.html

quandry one: its going to be our main living area so i dont want it to look like a fully fitted kitchen. So on wall facing into rest of L will be (floor levels) draw units, aga, corner unit, round corner to sink, integrated dishwaser, lardercupboard, fridge cupboard. in the middle there will be an island unit. The only wall units will be two large glazed units (about 1 metre wide each, right up to the ceiling) either side of the aga. Now I am having slight qualms as to whether or not something should go over the aga - units could look a bit cluttered, just a shelf, or nothing? DH thinks nothing would look strange (note you dont need/cant have extractor over aga). Any thoughts, pictures?

quandry two: for the life of me i cant figure out what colour to paint the kitchen units, or whether to paint the base units a different colour .... or ... arggh. racked by indecision. flooring will be slate, a bit like this:

Catalogue/Floor_Tiles/Slate/ImperialSlate&PageSize=200

and work top, white marble, like this carrera marble on this page

www.handmadekitchens-direct.co.uk/html/granite.html

and i sort of like these types of colours

www.thelittlegreene.com/paints-for-home/colour/mid-lead-colour-/

littlegreene.com/paints-for-home/colour/Kitchen-Green/

but am worried it might look a bit dull

again, any thoughts....

OP posts:
HerHonesty · 30/03/2010 14:32

and floor is Catalogue/Floor_Tiles/Slate/ImperialSlate&PageSize=200
doh.

OP posts:
MadameCastafiore · 30/03/2010 14:43

We have our units country cream by Laura Ashley and then Pied a Terre (I think by Farrow and Ball) on the walls with dark granite which looks good and means we can paint walls wahtever colour and units will always go.

I wouldn't put units each side of a cooker or aga just because you end up having to wash them down so much inside and out where the cooking vapours get to them and then dust sticks.

Can you just tile behind the aga right up to the ceiling for ease of cleaning?

HerHonesty · 30/03/2010 14:52

I could, but it would be quite a big area - aga is 1.6 metres long and then up to ceiling is prob another 2 metres so i am worried it will look a massive wall of tiles (obviously)...

prob having aga with balanced flue which goes straight out through wall or black pipe which would come out at approx mid way between top and bottom of cupboard.

OP posts:
Jacaqueen · 30/03/2010 15:52

I like it when the Aga is recessed into a chimney breast as shown in picture 8 of your first link.

We built a false wall behind our range cooker to give this effect. I have concealed down lights underneath that look great at night. I didn't tile the area just used washable paint which has been suprisingly robust. Utensils hang off a stailess steel rail that runs along the back. Above that I have a mantle shelf with a collection of blue and white Cornishware which is too twee for words but I like it.

I think it does look strange not having anything above the Aga. Another idea is to have one shelf with fancy cast iron brackets. You could use this space to dislay your pots. Looks good especially with fancy french cast iron ones.

Not sure about colours. I tend to like muted greys and greens best.

Jacaqueen · 30/03/2010 15:56

Apart from the tiles mine looks exactly like picture 15. Even have a clock.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.