My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Join our Property forum for renovation, DIY, and house selling advice.

Property/DIY

So come and talk to me about the cost of installing central heating and rewiring a house

4 replies

milfAKAmonkeymonkeymoomoo · 05/01/2009 10:38

Found a house we want to buy but it needs heating and rewiring, how much would it cost to do this in a 3 bed house?

OP posts:
mishymoo · 05/01/2009 10:48

We had a quote for our 3 bed house about 18 months ago. For rewiring, the electrician told us a rough estimate of about £3,000 - £3,500 and for a new boiler excluding radiators was also about £3,000 - £3,500. We are in the South West and I work in the plumbing industry so these quotes were almost "mates rates"!

Hope that helps?

OHBollox · 05/01/2009 21:25

We're having a combi boiler and 7 radiators fitted for £3800.
A complete rewire would be at least £3k depending on access.

WriggleJiggle · 05/01/2009 22:18

We've just had quotes.
Big new combi boiler £1500 + VAT (including moving gas supply and changing a few pipes)
Rewiring £2900

However, we were told in the survey it needed rewiring, but according to one of the electricians (interestingly the only one who actually took a light fitting and plug socket off to look at the wiring), the wiring is old, but in good condition and perfectly OK.
As a result we are now just going to have a new box fitted (the bit where the electricity comes into the house), which will cost £400.

All the other electricians immediately started trying to persuade us to fit more plug sockets, have fancy switches and so on.
It amazed me that only one electrician took the time to actually look at the wiring before telling us it needed replacing.

We are in Yorkshire btw.

milfAKAmonkeymonkeymoomoo · 06/01/2009 09:17

THanks that is really helpful Can go away and decide on an offer!

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.