Please or to access all these features

Property/DIY

Join our Property forum for renovation, DIY, and house selling advice.

Loft conversion or wait

7 replies

Laurajames369 · 18/10/2026 17:02

Hi we have a two bedroom house and a 18 month old , we are TTC baby number 2 ,

we not sure if to go ahead with loft conversion had quotes and going to cost us in region for everything 70k to 80k. Will have to borrow on mortgage .

not sure if to do the loft conversion now , or wait till I’m pregnant / have the baby, in order to save more and be in better financially situation.

i have already got the quotes , if I decide to wait , will the loft conversion company’s still be happy to do it ?thanks

OP posts:
MyCatPrefersPeaches · 18/10/2026 21:08

Would it definitely be cheaper or a better option in terms of location to do the loft rather than move? If so, I’d do it now - it won’t be cheaper to wait and then it’s done before the baby is here (hopefully).

MyCatPrefersPeaches · 18/10/2026 21:10

Oh, and if you decide to wait, the loft company will be happy to re-quote, I’m sure, but it won’t be for the same price. We ended up extending first and then doing the loft. It was 25% more by the time we got round to it, at least.

MN2025 · 18/10/2026 23:33

I’d be looking to move house OP instead of the loft conversion - it would be more straightforward and you may find a more spacious property.

That said - if you plan to still go ahead, I’d have the works starting in the next couple of months - I wouldn’t want to be having the house as a building site if you had a newborn around. It’s already going to be a juggle with one child…

In regards to quote, they will likely still be happy to do it but the cost might change due to the price of materials.

Zanatdy · Yesterday 06:27

I’d just do it as price will likely increase and easier to do it before baby comes along.

marinareyna · Yesterday 06:33

I’d also think about the heating before starting the conversion. A loft room can change the heating requirements, so it’s worth checking whether the existing radiators and boiler can cope with the extra space.
If you do go ahead, I’d sort the heating plan before the work starts rather than trying to change it afterwards.

Sheeshbee · Today 14:52

Laurajames369 · 18/10/2026 17:02

Hi we have a two bedroom house and a 18 month old , we are TTC baby number 2 ,

we not sure if to go ahead with loft conversion had quotes and going to cost us in region for everything 70k to 80k. Will have to borrow on mortgage .

not sure if to do the loft conversion now , or wait till I’m pregnant / have the baby, in order to save more and be in better financially situation.

i have already got the quotes , if I decide to wait , will the loft conversion company’s still be happy to do it ?thanks

Who are you thinking is going to be sleeping in the loft room, within the next 5-10 years? Surely you'd all want to be on the same floor at least for the foreseeable?

Laurajames369 · Today 14:55

Hi was thinking me and husband on top floor and two kids on second floor , in own bedroom

OP posts:
New posts on this thread. Refresh page