My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Join our Property forum for renovation, DIY, and house selling advice.

Property/DIY

Please come and comment on what you think of my new bedroom design wishlist.

13 replies

lisalisa · 01/07/2008 13:23

At the moment we have a very drab double bedroom with ensuite ( dh and I ). It has beige carpet ( littered with stains from the kids )and beige carpets and some hideous wardrobes from teh 1970s resplendent with flying angels and garlands of flowers as decoration. Last night dh and I decided we just have to renovate it.

My dream ( which dh has agreed to !!)is to rip up the carpets and have a wooden floor - not sure of which shade yet ( please advise ) but not too light. Then i want a glass chandelier and a glass dressing table and one of those gorgeous glass venetian type mirrors . A nice fluffy white rug too.

So the look is wood and glass and luxurious soft furnishings.

can anyone suggest a cupboard/wardrobe design?

We are doing this on a budget !

Any suggestions of where to find glass/wood accessories or delicous soft furnishings would be really appreicafed too.

Thanks!

OP posts:
Buda · 01/07/2008 13:27

Sounds lovely!

You could go for all white bedding too and then just have an accent colour for accessories that you can change when you want to.

Neeerly3 · 01/07/2008 13:30

not keen on wood floors upstairs - very noisy.....BUT apart from that your vision sounds lovely!

try ikea for design ideas on wardrobes they have so many. They not bad for soft furnishings either especially if on a budget.

lisalisa · 01/07/2008 13:34

Thanks Buda and neeerly3 - hmm - hadn't thought of the noise. Preesumably it would only be noisy for those downstairs immediately underneath us though and that's the lounge so not too botherd I don't think!

OP posts:
lisalisa · 01/07/2008 14:17

bump

OP posts:
Buda · 01/07/2008 14:39

I thought about noise but unless you are clopping about in stilettos it is fine. Is in our house anyway.

duke748 · 01/07/2008 15:04

Sounds good to me.

For the flooring I'd go for nice wide oak floor boards (or laminate that looks like that!). Classic and wipe clean!!!!

Just be aware that white and glass is going to be a pain in the bum to keep looking clean and tidy. I also agree and think you need an accent colour to keep it from being too bland.

Maybe go for wooden furniture with glass handles and an extravegant looking bedside tablelamp made of glass?

For an accent colour I'd go for greeny/bluey/ turquiose. Nice and soft but not too girly for your DP. Maybe a canvas picture above your bed with those colours in it, and curtains and cushions to match?

Check out housetohome.co.uk for loads of great ideas.

Let us know how you get on.

Duke.

ninedragons · 01/07/2008 16:23

Ikea have those Venetian mirrors at VERY budget-friendly prices.

Agree that glass takes a certain amount of diligence - our glass-topped coffee table looks like someone has done a full grease and oil change on it unless it's windexed daily.

I like one antique piece in a contemporary room. Local sale rooms are always full of rather lovely wardrobes. If you're going with oak and glass, something like an Arts and Crafts or Art Nouveau wardrobe could work really well.

onceinalifetime · 01/07/2008 16:28

All sounds lovely - definitely go for wooden floors, solid oak if possible and wide boards. You can get a really nice mid-range colour in a matt finish.

Matalan have very good cushions and bed linen that looks luxurious but is very cheap and Zara Home is also brilliant for that sort of stuff and they've just started selling online: www.zarahome.com/shop/gb/en/zara-home/home

mydeco.com is good for ideas, you can plan a room layout and source lots of things according to the room/theme you're going for:.

Good luck! Wish I was doing mine , it's like a pit.

maidamess · 01/07/2008 16:32

I would go for a painted distressed wardrobe.
French style like this...

ooh la la

lisalisa · 02/07/2008 09:06

Oooh thank you - going to sit and read all those links and chew over your suggestions - but wanted to thank you all in advance first in case I don't get back to post today!

OP posts:
ninedragons · 02/07/2008 11:31

So you're not tempted to spruce up the flying angels? They sound hilarious, actually. You could paint the whole thing purple. Maybe add some glitter to the garlands to give them a Christmas-frost effect?

trixymalixy · 03/07/2008 22:00

Graham and Green have some lovely mirrors and dressing tables.

Pannacotta · 04/07/2008 10:14

HOw about engineered wood boards which are good for absorbing sound and come in all sorts of colours/
Next has a good range of mirrored furniture as does Laura Ashley - LA also great place to look for chandeliers.
Iron Bed Compnay has lovely bedlinen.
Graham and Green lovely but pricey...

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.