Please or to access all these features

Property/DIY

Join our Property forum for renovation, DIY, and house selling advice.

How long did you wait to hear back after sealed bids?

14 replies

Sealedbidswoes · 23/09/2026 14:43

Submitted our best and final offer for a house we are in love with, deadline was 12pm yesterday. EA agent said we would hear back today but nothing yet. The wait is excruciating! I’m torturing myself by thinking that it must mean we were unsuccessful otherwise we would have heard back by now. Just wondering if anyone could distract me by telling me their experiences of sealed bids - how long did it take to hear the result and did you get the house?

I’m thinking I’ll call the EA if we haven’t heard anything by the end of the day. Or would that be OTT and I should just accept that I’ll know when I know? Arghhh!

OP posts:
Grrrpredictivetex · 23/09/2026 14:44

No help to you at all but good luck. And yes I probably would call the estate agents.

Sealedbidswoes · 23/09/2026 14:49

Grrrpredictivetex · 23/09/2026 14:44

No help to you at all but good luck. And yes I probably would call the estate agents.

Thank you! I didn’t want to come across as desperate but actually, it’s not going to have any impact on whether we’ve won or not so I guess I’ve got nothing to lose!

OP posts:
Tortephant · 23/09/2026 14:52

The agent will have put the offers to the vendor, who will need time to think through. They may choose a lower offer if they prefer the circumstances of that offer, or have some difficult decisions to make choosing which way to proceed.
Longer means they are taking it seriously and haven't just chosen the highest.

Or they may have asked more questions from their preferred bid and are waiting on satisfactory, or not, answers.

Sealedbidswoes · 23/09/2026 15:05

Tortephant · 23/09/2026 14:52

The agent will have put the offers to the vendor, who will need time to think through. They may choose a lower offer if they prefer the circumstances of that offer, or have some difficult decisions to make choosing which way to proceed.
Longer means they are taking it seriously and haven't just chosen the highest.

Or they may have asked more questions from their preferred bid and are waiting on satisfactory, or not, answers.

We’re in the best possible position, so if we don’t win it will be because of a higher bid I suppose. I’m thinking if we were the highest bid it would have been a quick and easy yes.

I know it’s too soon to despair but I’m already beating myself up for not going higher. We offered nearly 13% over asking, but technically we could have done a bit more. We didn’t want to go crazy though and thought that seemed adequate. Plus it needs a lot of work doing to it so it all eats into that budget. Ah I really hate sealed bids!

I’m going to call the agents at 4 before I pick the kids up 😬

OP posts:
ArcangelaTarabotti · 23/09/2026 15:08

Two days. Was on on tenterhooks s desperately wanted the house.
When the call came I went into an empty office.
My colleagues heard the squeals of delight and came rushing in.
Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!

ArcangelaTarabotti · 23/09/2026 15:10

By the way, in my case the delay was because there was a slightly higher offer from a buildr/developer but the vendor chose me besides I was local (she had been born in the house) and told her how I loved the house and desperately wanted to live in it 😃 she moved locally and we are now very good friends 🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞

Sealedbidswoes · 23/09/2026 15:12

ArcangelaTarabotti · 23/09/2026 15:08

Two days. Was on on tenterhooks s desperately wanted the house.
When the call came I went into an empty office.
My colleagues heard the squeals of delight and came rushing in.
Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited

Great that you got the house! And encouraging that it took 2 days. Wish the EAs had overestimated the timescale then I wouldn’t have spent today sitting by the phone like a nervous wreck!

OP posts:
Nourishinghandcream · 23/09/2026 15:29

We sold using B&F 4yrs ago, desirable house (probate property so empty) in a popular area.
Offers had to be in by close of play on the Friday and we notified the EA on the Monday.
Wasn't just the best price or even if the buyers were in the best position (all had to be sold or be a cash buyer to even view and make an offer) but personalities came into it and well.
The couple who (on paper) were in the best position AND made the highest offer were dismissed immediately due to their behaviour and entitlement. The couple who made the second highest offer were also dismissed due to their position not being as good (they were in a chain) as the next couple. The successful buyers made the third highest offer but crucially, had already moved into rented so were not dependent on a chain.

That is not to say our successful buyers were perfect.
They stalled towards the end (we think they were trying to make the most of their rental property until the last minute) and we were getting ready to pull the plug on them when suddenly, on the Friday we E&C (we think the EA gave them a nudge and a warning that we were about to drop them).

Fingers crossed for you.🤞

Sealedbidswoes · 23/09/2026 16:11

Nourishinghandcream · 23/09/2026 15:29

We sold using B&F 4yrs ago, desirable house (probate property so empty) in a popular area.
Offers had to be in by close of play on the Friday and we notified the EA on the Monday.
Wasn't just the best price or even if the buyers were in the best position (all had to be sold or be a cash buyer to even view and make an offer) but personalities came into it and well.
The couple who (on paper) were in the best position AND made the highest offer were dismissed immediately due to their behaviour and entitlement. The couple who made the second highest offer were also dismissed due to their position not being as good (they were in a chain) as the next couple. The successful buyers made the third highest offer but crucially, had already moved into rented so were not dependent on a chain.

That is not to say our successful buyers were perfect.
They stalled towards the end (we think they were trying to make the most of their rental property until the last minute) and we were getting ready to pull the plug on them when suddenly, on the Friday we E&C (we think the EA gave them a nudge and a warning that we were about to drop them).

Fingers crossed for you.🤞

Ah no one has met the vendors as it’s a probate sale and the beneficiaries live some distance away - everything has been handled by the EA. So sadly I haven’t been able to use my winning personality to my advantage in this case! Although DH did point out that calling the EA at this point may come across as annoying and I don’t want that. I know I said I would call at 4 but haven’t yet - still dithering!

OP posts:
Sealedbidswoes · 23/09/2026 17:02

Thanks for the replies and hand holds. We got an email at 4:30 saying we had been unsuccessful. I’d love to know what it went for! I hope we didn’t miss out by just a few thousand 😩

OP posts:
Tortephant · 23/09/2026 17:04

Sealedbidswoes · 23/09/2026 17:02

Thanks for the replies and hand holds. We got an email at 4:30 saying we had been unsuccessful. I’d love to know what it went for! I hope we didn’t miss out by just a few thousand 😩

I’m sorry. Follow up. Be ready if it falls through

ArcangelaTarabotti · 23/09/2026 17:31

Tortephant · 23/09/2026 17:04

I’m sorry. Follow up. Be ready if it falls through

This!
People do sometimes lie /I was told a potential buyer of my house had ‘sold his’ and assumed from that he was a cash buyer -no -was EA-speak for ‘he has accepted an offer’
Also the eventual buyers were the most annoying people in the world, and would have happily sold to another purchaser for less money.
Keep in touch with the EA so he knows you are nice reasonable honest reliable people.

user1497787065 · 23/09/2026 17:51

Sealedbidswoes · 23/09/2026 17:02

Thanks for the replies and hand holds. We got an email at 4:30 saying we had been unsuccessful. I’d love to know what it went for! I hope we didn’t miss out by just a few thousand 😩

Don’t lose hope entirely. My DD was in your position and the original buyer pulled
out of the purchase and her purchase of the property is now going through.

Nourishinghandcream · 24/09/2026 13:20

All is not lost, you never know if a problem may arise down the line and you suddenly become the preferred buyer.🤞

When we last sold, we told the EA to let it be known that not only would we not entertain any last minute attempts to drop the price, but if the buyer tried it on they would be dropped immediately and the house would go straight back on the market.
We would have done it as well!👍

New posts on this thread. Refresh page