My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Join our Property forum for renovation, DIY, and house selling advice.

Property/DIY

Wood burning stove....

9 replies

JillJ72 · 18/01/2008 16:52

Hi there,

We have bought a wood burning stove and have today received the quote for having it fitted, which will involve having a new flue in the chimney, chimney pot, caul, etc. I can see why it is the price it is, but DH has gone a bit potty over the sum involved.

If you don't mind me asking, have you had this done and roughly how much did it cost?

Thanks!

Jill

OP posts:
hippipotami · 18/01/2008 21:16

Not me (as yet, but am hoping to next year) but my SIL had a woodburning stove supplied and fitted for around £1500. I believe the actual stove cost around £600, so fitting - including lining of the chimney breast was around £900.

hth

sophierosie · 18/01/2008 21:19

Don't expect much change from £2k. Fitting it will cost double the cost of purchase - heartbreaking, but you really do need the professionals to do it as the risk of burning your house down is too great...

MinkVelvet · 18/01/2008 21:20

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Rowlers · 18/01/2008 21:21

DP just fitted ours himself.
Cost us only the cost of the stove - £300

MinkVelvet · 18/01/2008 21:21

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

AlienEars · 18/01/2008 21:25

We did it ourselves - oh the joy of soot falling in my face as DH stood on the roof poking the chimney liner down...

Take a look on the MachineMart and Screwfix websites to get an idea of the cost of buying the parts yourself. Ours is connected to the radiators as well and we bodged expertly installed most of that ourselves too!

JillJ72 · 18/01/2008 22:19

Thanks for your replies. We're costing up bits and pieces on the net; will check against the products/brands we're being quoted for, longevity, quality, etc. We're having chimney breasts rebuilt in the ground floor ( of the Victorian property we've not long moved into, and part of that work is having the wood burning stove installed and fitted (to meet regs, etc....).

OP posts:
alfiesbabe · 18/01/2008 22:37

£1000 . quite a few years ago.

dramaqueen · 18/01/2008 22:42

Ours cost £900 for the chimney to be lined, £580 for the stove, and I think the people who lined the chimney also fitted the stove in with the price.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.