My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Join our Property forum for renovation, DIY, and house selling advice.

Property/DIY

Sitting Room Flooring - Best for selling

8 replies

RedheadBaba · 13/09/2007 20:21

We're in the middle of preparing our place for selling at the moment, it's a 2 bed modern semi so most likely to be sold to a young couple, maybe with one child or planning a baby.

We've got to change the flooring in the sitting room, what is currently the best bet - laminate or carpet?

Also what would you put in the hallway, laminate or the same carpet as the stairs?

TIA

OP posts:
newgirl · 13/09/2007 21:16

i think the sensible thing would be to check out what the neighbours have got and ask an estate agent

personally i hate laminate in a living room - it looks cheap and nasty - ok if you have stripped floors or real oak or something - if not, then a neutral carpet for me!

RedheadBaba · 13/09/2007 21:45

Thanks - neighbours are a mixture of carpet (light or dark) and laminate.

Can't face getting estate agent in yet.

I will put down 1 in favour of carpet

OP posts:
MadLabOwner · 13/09/2007 21:46

I would go for laminate in the hall with a nice runner and a plain pale-ish carpet in the living room.

wotamidoin · 13/09/2007 22:33

laminate in living room and hallway, neutral carpet up the stairs(not practical but looks nice for selling)

Alva · 13/09/2007 22:37

Another vote for carpet - not a laminate fan.

heifer · 13/09/2007 22:50

another laminate hater I'm afraid..

So would have to go for carpet (although hate them also)...

Would much prefer to buy a house with carpet it, so I can pull them out and either sand the floors or put real wood down..

For some reason I would feel it was wrong to rip up laminate and would proberly live with it but hate it (well until I have accidently damaged it enough to justify pulling it up)..

So after all that waffle I would say

Laminate in hall way
carpet in Lounge..

thank you for listening (well reading)

Sidge · 13/09/2007 22:51

I would want laminate in hall (easier to keep clean) but carpet in lounge (nicer to sprawl on/let baby crawl on etc)

RedheadBaba · 13/09/2007 23:28

Thanks all, going to go down the carpet route in the sitting room and laminate in the hall.

I think my folks actually have some good quality laminate left over from doing their study which would go in the hallway nicely - even cheaper!!!!

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.