My feed

to access all these features

Join our Property forum for renovation, DIY, and house selling advice.


How can we find the stopcock ?!

15 replies

LIZS · 05/09/2007 16:49

Had a plumber here this morning and we could not find it in any obvious place - under sinks, utility , boiler room. Even got the architect's plans out btu ti was nto marked. I did eventually find the inlet point/meter by calling the water co (not that it looks as if it has ever been read since it is hidden under a bush) but there must be a stopcock here somewhere too. Any ideas ?

OP posts:
policywonk · 05/09/2007 16:51

Do you have the paperwork from when you bought the house? This info is often included in the information given by the seller to the buyer.

In our last house, it was under the floorboards near the front door.

TellusMater · 05/09/2007 16:51

We had the same problem. Unfortunately water was pouring out of the washing machine cold water feed at the time
DH eventually found ours behind a false tile in the downstairs loo...

LIZS · 05/09/2007 16:51

Good thought, will have a rummage !

OP posts:
Slubberdegullion · 05/09/2007 16:54

Do you have a fireplace? We had an old cottage with a back boiler behind the fireplace and that's where we found the stop cock (to the side of the fireplace not in it).

Slubberdegullion · 05/09/2007 16:54

I just said fireplace 3 times, not v wordy clever was it?

purplemonkeydishwasher · 05/09/2007 16:55

we had this same problem. Eventually we found it outside in the back garden. do you have any loose looking slabs? try lifting them up.

policywonk · 05/09/2007 16:57

Basically, lift up your house and any outbuildings and have a bit of a look.

LIZS · 05/09/2007 16:59

lol . Nothing in the paperwork. House 14 years old so no back boiler etc. Odd !

OP posts:
TellusMater · 05/09/2007 17:00

And do it before a pipe breaks

LIZS · 05/09/2007 17:09

Another rummage under sink later. There is a big red tap which assume should look like it . However it is positioned on a junction between the supply to the sink and what looks like the inlet to the dishwasher and an earthing box. How I didn't see it earlier I'm not sure except it is tucked at the back behind the white waste pipes. Does that sound like it ?!

OP posts:
policywonk · 05/09/2007 17:12

Sorry, wouldn't know a stopcock if it punched me in the face. However, if your house is only 14 years old, could you contact the company that built it?

LIZS · 05/09/2007 17:16

It's not a main builder, more of a kit form made to order type, and the company who supplied it are no more apparently.

OP posts:
LIZS · 05/09/2007 18:23

looks like this! is that it ?

OP posts:
WriggleJiggle · 05/09/2007 18:34

Yes, that looks right.

LIZS · 05/09/2007 18:37

Cheers , will show plumber when he comes back to fix the taps we have yet to buy !

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.