My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

This topic is for sharing experiences of pregnancy choices; to debate the ethics of termination, visit our Politics or Chat forums.

Pregnancy choices

Medical abortion and sertraline

10 replies

Tori2708 · 23/08/2023 19:54

Hi all, does anyone know if I can have a medical abortion at home as I’m taking sertraline? I have referred myself to the abortion client via the NHS website but it didn’t ask me for any medical history/medications etc. has anyone on sertraline had an abortion? Any advice would be gratefully received! Thank you x

OP posts:
AoifeB2004 · 29/08/2023 18:13

Hi,
I had a medical abortion at home about a month ago now and I have been taking sertraline since February. I mentioned this during my consultation and it was never brought up, so I’m assuming there’s no contraindication involved. But always best to double check if you’re really worried; I think most organisations ask about current medications. Hope this helps. I was six weeks along for reference x

AoifeB2004 · 29/08/2023 18:14

Hi, 
I had a medical abortion at home about a month ago now and I have been taking sertraline since February. I mentioned this during my consultation and it was never brought up, so I’m assuming there’s no contraindication involved. But always best to double check if you’re really worried; I think most organisations ask about current medications. Hope this helps. I was six weeks along for reference x

Tori2708 · 30/08/2023 07:43

Thank you for sharing, I’m 4 weeks at the moment and have my phone consultation tomorrow. Not sure what happens then or how long after I’ll actually have the termination. How long was it for you from initial consultation if you don’t mind me asking? Thanks xx

OP posts:
AoifeB2004 · 30/08/2023 10:02

During the phone consultation they’ll ask about medications you take most likely, what kind of abortion you’d like (surgical/medical), any health conditions you might have, and your reason for having the abortion. After my phone consultation I got the pills 3 days later from the clinic, I guess it varies depending on appointment availability in your area. Hope you’re doing well x

Tori2708 · 30/08/2023 13:17

Thank you for the info xx

OP posts:
Dobetter · 19/03/2024 13:04

Hi, can I ask did you have someone with you? I really don’t want to tell anyone, but they said I need someone at home with me..feel so stressed out

AoifeB2004 · 19/03/2024 17:26

Hello,
yes I did have someone at home with me during it, which I would recommend in case you need anything such as a hot water bottle, water, etc which you may struggle to get on your own. It may also be comforting to you to have someone there as it is not a nice process to go through alone. I’d recommend telling someone you trust if possible, you may have your reasons for not telling anyone but it feels a lot better to have a hand hold during it. Hope you’re doing okay, I know it’s hard but it will get better I promise x

Tori2708 · 19/03/2024 20:57

Hi, I had a surgical procedure in the end, so I had my partner with me. Not sure what procedure you’re choosing but I’m sure you’ll feel better having someone with you either way xx

OP posts:
justfindingmyway · 16/04/2024 19:04

AoifeB2004 · 19/03/2024 17:26

Hello,
yes I did have someone at home with me during it, which I would recommend in case you need anything such as a hot water bottle, water, etc which you may struggle to get on your own. It may also be comforting to you to have someone there as it is not a nice process to go through alone. I’d recommend telling someone you trust if possible, you may have your reasons for not telling anyone but it feels a lot better to have a hand hold during it. Hope you’re doing okay, I know it’s hard but it will get better I promise x

Hiya, I hope you don’t mind me jumping on this. I feel selfish for being scared about what is to come for me, but that is where I am right now. Could I ask how it went for you? Please don’t answer if it’s upsetting. I hope you’re doing ok now x

AoifeB2004 · 16/04/2024 20:05

Hi,
It’s absolutely not selfish to be afraid of having an abortion, it can be really daunting if you haven’t gone through it before. Honestly, my abortion was at the bad end of the spectrum in terms of pain, it was quite severe for me. I guess I was just unlucky. But for many others the pain is perfectly manageable, and they get through the abortion fairly easily. I hope you have someone to be with you during it cos it’s a massive help. Is it soon? Sending lots of hugs your way x

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.