My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Get updates on how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy by signing up to the Mumsnet Pregnancy Newsletters.

Pregnancy

Excuses for not drinking

34 replies

samidolls · 01/06/2017 12:06

I need some inspiration, we're going out with my parents this weekend. Going to the cinema, then for a bite to eat "and a few drinks".

My parents are really pushing the drinks part (or maybe it just seems this way as I can't) and I need a good excuse to fob them off with!

The standard antibiotics excuse won't cut it. I'm a victim of my own circumstance and see and chat with my mum far too much for her to accept that with no previous mention or complaining about the wait at the doctors!

We're planning to tell all the parents on fathers day and we want to keep it that way so its after the first midwife visit (Tuesday eek!) and so no one set gets a cob on for not knowing first (trust me it would happen....)

So yeah- please inspire me! Grin

OP posts:
ethelfleda · 02/06/2017 16:47

Order a tonic water and say it's G&T?

GreedyDuck · 03/06/2017 00:47

Just tell them you've got a crushing hangover.

tellybear · 03/06/2017 00:53

What greedyduck said, you went out the night before and hanging still. Epic handover.

Bmarie · 03/06/2017 06:38

I found the best way to deal with not drinking was to have the one glass all night, drink the same as your partner so you can swap glasses

I told my friend quite early and we had our works Christmas party, she agreed to drink all of the prosecco I "drank" and we slyly swapped glasses - she just got really drunk

The only question I got was when someone heard me ordering a non alc drink as well but I fobbed it off with "I don't like drinking when I'm eating I always need a proper drink, I have got a prosecco too!"

titsbumfannythelot · 03/06/2017 09:24

Can you say you have a migraine from the sports event?

Bubblysqueak · 03/06/2017 09:29

Appletizer in a wine glass looks exactly like wine also there are loads of mock tails that look and taste alcoholic and also have alcoholic names too.

BabyLedWhining · 03/06/2017 12:59

Op wants to wait till Father's Day! Although when people tell is personal.

Is it worth just saying you're not well and staying home?

BabyLedWhining · 03/06/2017 13:01

Or slip a note to your barman/server that says "I'm pregnant, it's a secret, Please substitute all drinks with sprite etc"

AlexandraOrlov · 05/06/2017 19:50

Cystitis worked for me. And no-one asks any further questions.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.