Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Potty training and nursery?

lucie333 · 11/07/2022 12:08

My son has been getting used to the potty since last week as he's been on holiday from nursery but he's back next week and I've no idea what I should do? He will only use potty if naked ?

OP's posts:
Please
or

JennyForeigner · 11/07/2022 12:09

Following because we really need the answer to this!

Please
or

Hall84 · 12/07/2022 08:24

I'm hoping someone comes along with a better answer than me soon too! We've tried the oh crap book over the weekend and it's fine when I'm there but her 'i need to pee' signal is very subtle so yesterday with the grandparents did not go so well. Nursery have said they're happy to give it a go for us today so I'll let you know how we get on.

Please
or

Hall84 · 12/07/2022 08:24

I'm hoping someone comes along with a better answer than me soon too! We've tried the oh crap book over the weekend and it's fine when I'm there but her 'i need to pee' signal is very subtle so yesterday with the grandparents did not go so well. Nursery have said they're happy to give it a go for us today so I'll let you know how we get on.

Please
or

lavenderfine · 12/07/2022 09:14

We did it slowly. I warned nursery I was attempting to potty train but would be sending him in pull-ups for a week. Could they try and ask him if he needed a wee and take him to the toilet in the meantime. Then one morning I dropped him off and he actually needed a wee when I got there so I just said to his key worker 'he's got no nappy on today and needs a wee, there's spare clothes if he wets' and that was that. He's never actually even had an accident in nursery even in the early days despite being less than reliable at home 🤷‍♀️

Please
or

lucie333 · 12/07/2022 18:53

@Hall84 how did your little one get on today ?

OP's posts:
Please
or

Hall84 · 12/07/2022 21:44

Thanks @lucie333, possibly a fluke after the disaster yesterday but only 1 accident! They put her in a pull up for her nap (which we haven't been doing as totally cold turkey, only 1 wet sheet so far but she doesn't nap at home!) and it was dry when she got up. Something they've done, which I really think has helped is change the tone. So instead of saying 'do you want to sit on the potty' they've said 'do you need a wee before we go in the garden or do 'x'?' I'm going to try this more at home!

Please
or

jannier · 12/07/2022 23:03

Just put pants on and go back to reminding every 45 minutes and a more let's try around an hour. This is why most advice is just go for pants they always regress when you put clothes on becouse they think it's an instant job now they have to learn it isn't and they can't leave it to the last minute. Settings are not allowed to be bare but that book seems to be written by someone who has weeks to sit watching and catching when children who are really ready take days.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.