Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

When to potty train? And how!

holdingoutfora · 23/04/2019 18:45

My little boy is 2 at the end of June.

I'm just wondering when is the best time to start potty training?

He is currently able to tell us when he has a dirty nappy, but not when he needs to go. For example, he will pull at his nappy and come to us and say "erghhh". Or (very) occasionally, he will say "Poo Poo".

He isn't able to identify being wet yet.

OP's posts:
Please
or

teaandbiscuitsforme · 23/04/2019 19:17

Hi OP. It's always my suggestion to everything but read Oh Crap. It's brilliant. I used it with DD at 22mo and I'm a week into potty training with DS who's 2yr3mo.

Potty training is always going to be slightly stressful/intense but I've found both times to be relatively quick and straight forward. Being able to say that they need a wee isn't necessary before you start.

Please
or

holdingoutfora · 23/04/2019 19:20

Haha, that sounds like an interesting read! Grin

Thanks for the suggestion, I will look it up. I feel so clueless with my first!

OP's posts:
Please
or

pastabest · 23/04/2019 19:20

Another recommendation for Oh Crap here. I toilet trained my daughter within a week at 2 years 2 months using it.

Read it from start to finish before starting though.

Please
or

teaandbiscuitsforme · 23/04/2019 20:03

It is a brilliant name for a potty training book! An American friend recommended it to me and it is very American, but if you can ignore that, the method is very sensible.

Please
or

MissSmiley · 23/04/2019 21:54

I have five children and my experience is wait until they decide they want to. My twins got to almost three and needed a bit of encouragement but the older two both decided themselves at about 2y 4m. Our nanny at the time tried to get my older daughter to have a go around two and she wasn't ready and it didn't work.
I can't even remember training number 5 but I certainly wasn't in a rush to get her out of nappies

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.