Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

transition from potty to toilet

cs2012 · 25/04/2015 15:42

Hi everyone

Hoping for some advice please. My ds has been potty training for the past couple of weeks and is doing ok, although better at home than at nursery as I watch him like a hawk to avoid accidents!

Anyway, he is fine on the potty but not keen on the toilet. Does anyone have some tips on encouraging them to use the toilet? We are going on holiday in two weeks and I would like him to be able to use potty and toilet so we can go out and about without having to carry a potty with us all the time.

Thanks

OP's posts:
Please
or

Plockplock · 26/04/2015 12:32

We had more success potty training our DD on the actual toilet, mostly because we had a very interested 18 month old who would sometimes empty the potty before us... Have you got a step and toilet training seat? The Baby Bjorn one is very good, if you don't. We kept a stack of books in the loo for her to look at or for us to read to her whilst we waited, it also made it seem like a more fun place to be. I know that bribery isn't always a good idea, but it definitely helped! We used those little chocolate animal biscuits, she'd get 1 biscuit for a wee and 2 for a poo. For out and about the Potette potty is great and can either be used as a portable potty or training seat.

Good luck!

Please
or

TarkaTheOtter · 26/04/2015 12:33

We have the potette mentioned above although have only ever used as a toilet seat. It fits in the change bag.

Please
or

cs2012 · 26/04/2015 15:48

Thanks guys. We have a toilet training seat and the potette. The seat is a bit wobbly so have bought a trainer seat with a step which will hopefully make him feel more secure. I think I might need to up the bribes though as he doesn't seem that interested in the toilet! Hmm

OP's posts:
Please
or

TarkaTheOtter · 26/04/2015 17:28

I think we used a frozen toilet seat which helped her get over her initial fears and then she seemed happy to use any child's toilet seat.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.