Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Potty fear due to severe constipation

spritzercat · 30/07/2014 13:31

DD1 is 2 1/2 and has been using the potty on and off for about 6 months now. On Sunday I decided to go cold turkey and she has done a brilliant job with it for the 3 days. However, yesterday she spent most of the day in a foul mood and complaining of tummy ache. It turns out she needs a poo and has been holding it in. today she is reluctant to use the potty. She's had problems with constipation for most of her life and is sometimes (understandably) scared. She has done poos on the potty in the past but today she has become very upset by it all. I've encouraged her, bribed her and never told her off/chastised her over it. She asked for a nappy so I've put one on. I don't want to cause her more upset. Is this the right thing to do or am I making things worse?

Has anyone else had this problem? What did you do?

OP's posts:
Please
or

TwiggyHeart · 30/07/2014 14:26

I am having a similar issue my DD is 2.9 and we have finally decided to go cold turkey as she, I think would happily stay in a nappy forever, she's just not bothered. We have done 3 days and she has been pretty good with wees, we have had 2 accidents today but only minor (leaving it too late to ask I think). However all 3 afternoons have been more difficult as she clearly wants/needs a poo but won't do it on either the potty or toilet. Last night she was up screaming with a tummy ache and ended up doing one in her nappy about 9pm, asked to be changed and went straight to sleep.

As far as I'm aware she has had no negative experiences with poo/potty so not sure what's causing it....any advice welcome (OP you have my sympathy!)

Please
or

spritzercat · 30/07/2014 17:50

Twiggyheart, thank you for the reply. I'm relieved it's not just us going through it (if you know what I mean!). Well she had her poo after she begged for a nappy. I took the nappy off her once shed had one and put pants back on her. She's been fine about that so far. I a. Worried how this is going to pan out long term putting a nappy on her for a poo. Any advice or tips from anyone in the same situation is greatly appreciated!

OP's posts:
Please
or

TwiggyHeart · 30/07/2014 20:45

Spritzer, we actually had a poo in potty success this afternoon! She said she was scared and thought it would hurt but then got desperate and just did it. She was v v proud of herself but will update if this one time success leads to no more problems as it may just be a case of do it once and then get used to it!!

Please
or

spritzercat · 06/08/2014 18:47

Twiggyheart, that is wonderful. We're having a battle now. She's incredibly scared. She's back on the movicol, to get her bowels moving, but she's working twice as hard to keep it in. Poor little one.

OP's posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.