Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

4yo sudden horrific constipation, what can I do? Desparate!

justkeeponsmiling · 27/04/2014 23:55

Hi all,
My DS aged 4 has always been a poor drinker, I have to constantly be on his back to drink and even if I am he will only take small amounts and as a result his poo is always on the hard, pellet-like side.
This week I have been working shifts and he has been off school so not in his usual routine. As a result,he has not been constantly nagged about drinking more and I think his fluid intake must have been even less than usual.
So, fast forward to today and he has been sitting on the loo for about an hour, crying/screaming in pain as he needs to go but can't. There was a huge, hard lump of poo right there but try as he might, he could not pass it. I tried to apply some vaseline but that did not help at all.
Phoned out of hours doctors to see if there was an emergency pharmacy open this evening but apparently there isn't.
Ended up taking him to out of hours doctors where they examined him and said that he would benefit from some laxatives and a suppository but as they had none available they just sent us home! My poor boy by then couldn't even sit down due to the pain. I ended up giving him some Lactulose and 2mg of a glycerine suppository, both of which I got from my place of work (I work in a hospital and stopped by there on my way home). Suppository didn't do a thing. In the end he was so exhausted, I put him to bed and he is fast asleep now.
I'm at a loss now as to what to do tomorrow. Apart from giving him lots of fluids and more lactulose, can I try anything else? Anyone who has been there? I feel so sorry for my poor DS, I want to cry!
Please, please, has anyone else been there?

OP's posts:
Please
or

carolinementzer · 28/04/2014 13:56

One suggestion which always works in our house hold - prunes! Or even better prune juice. But not too much it's very effective.

My last blog post was specifically about constipation. There's a good smoothie recipe on there you could make for your DS to keep things moving, so to speak. Here's the link. mydaughterwontsleep.com/2014/04/25/all-bunged-up-is-constipation-making-your-childs-miserable/

I hope he feels better soon. Best wishes x

Please
or

justkeeponsmiling · 28/04/2014 20:50

Thats brilliant, thanks very much! Main blockage has now cleared, thank god. Love the recipe, and I've now stocked up on prune juice, never want to see poor DS go through this again!

OP's posts:
Please
or

carolinementzer · 29/04/2014 14:08

Ahh, glad it's all moving!

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.