Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

run out of ideas help!

laylasmumma · 01/12/2013 12:47

my daughter will be 3 in January and we have been trying to potty train her for at least 6 months. started out as we expected with a few accidents manage to get 2 wees successfully in potty but then she freaked out each time. now she wont go near potty, freaks out when she doesn't have a nappy on and freaks out when she has bath. her nursery have tried with same results. we have never forced her to do anything, always done what she wanted. anyone had this? or got any ideas??

OP's posts:
Please
or

CadenceRoastingByAnOpenFire · 01/12/2013 13:17

Hi, potty training is certainly a challenge isn't it! My dd is almost 4, so we did this around 18 months ago. We made a big thing of her being A REALLY BIG GIRL like her big sisters/best friend. Clapping and rewards when she did anything on the potty. She seemed to take to the potty well but was freaked out about using a toilet when we were out and about. We just persevered, gave lots of encouraged, you're a really good girl, just like big sister etc etc, big smiley faces, no presure and eventually it clicked. I'd also say try to be relaxed about the whole thing (I know that's easier said than done, it can be so stressful!) because she will pick up on your anxiety. It seems like they will never 'get' it and then all of a sudden they do. Best of luck.

Please
or

laylasmumma · 01/12/2013 13:25

we tried all of that. on the 2 occasions she done it we was praising her she got a treat of her choice, was singing and clapping, the lot then she freaked and ran towards me shouting nappy on.
yes its very stressful what makes it worse is when people compare her to others her age who are out of nappies like im doing something wrong/

OP's posts:
Please
or

jimijack · 01/12/2013 13:29

Oh Lord I've got all this to come with ds2

We bought fancy pants with Spiderman on them, told him he couldn't wee on Spiderman.
It was 1 chocolate button for a wee & 2 for a poo in the loo.
That seemed to work.
Ds2 is going to be a different story entirely.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.